NAV2005

QNX

does anybody tried NAV2005 with winlite? :D

i've removed almost all components, except system critical components, like IE Core and something else.. i don't remember already :D

i'm sure that NAV need's Task Scheduler, cause now it's not working :D

snap027.jpg

:wacko:

NAV2005 rocks, but it seems to need pretty much everything in place

I'm not here to argue, but...

I personally think Norton is an incredibly bloated piece of software.... Our university has a corporate license... and often times it just ends up royaly screwing up machines and killing system performance. And I really don't think it does a good job at catching, and stoping viruses. I think that the best choice is Avast! Antivirus... even the free version is 100s of times better than norton.

However, I do agree with the second part of your statement... Norton, does need pretty much "everything in place". This is because it is heavily reliant on services, and the internet explorer API...

I tend to avoid products that "require" i.e., and this is definitly one of them of them... although there are many other reasons that I won't use Norton... but I won't bore all of you :P

Troglodyte,

You are entirely correct. Norton Products have definately become bloatware. I think the reason is they are trying to appeal the basic consumer who wants something to protect them without any interaction. I understand why they would cater to them... They out number the people like us who want to tweak and configure it for the bare minimum.

I love NAV but I have stuck with my MAV2002 because 2003+ is heavily bloated.

QNX,

This doesn't help you any but just an FYI NAV2002 works fine with nLite's "Lite" option but I do have Task Scheduler installed.

and the amount of ram it eats is NOTHING compared to Norton...........

try to scan your PC...

it's a real paradise, when you have big files compressed with rar... KAV is unpacking them to into temp dir and when the empty space is 0 - it hangs and eating all ram :D

I didn't refer to the memory hog during MANUAL SCANNING (Panda is the best in that I believe......and Kaspersky is probably the thoroughest of them all).....I referred to the amount of memory it takes up doing backround scanning........

ANyways, each one to his own.........it was just my opinion, that's all ;)

I had almost the same problem. I did the safe install, only problem I had was the virus definitions would not install. Downloaded virus definitions from Symantec and they still would not install. Uninstalled NAV2005, reinstalled now it works fine.

Also every time I went to run Microsoft Word XP a Norton Popup said “Norton Antivirus does not support the repair feature”. Again reinstalling NAV2005 fixed this.

I like to use AVG from GriSoft; it´s good, fast, small and for free (v6, v7 isn´t). It´s using 4-7MB of RAM.

Before I used NAV2004 but was using like 12-15MB as far as i can remember. Way to much I think for just an anti-virus. ;)

Edit: AVG is compatible con nLite :thumbup

• 1 year later...

I am facing the same problem. I use Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v10.0.2.2000. I have kept Task Scheduler and Terminal Services both intact, but still it wont even install.

I am using Windows XP SP2 (nlited version)

I've removed everything but:

(components actually relevant to OS functionality)

IE Core

MDAC

DHCP Client

Event Log

NLA

WMI

... and Kaspersky works like a charm! :thumbup

You can just sense these topics taking a turn for the worst... lol