Complete Beginners Guide to nLite Unattended CD's

DigitalAZ

• 2 weeks later...

Previously with nLite version 0.99 I created a WinXP unattended install CD with SP1. I'd boot up and I'd get the message 'Press any key to boot from CD' and I'd do that and the install would stop at the drive and partition section. I'd set whatever partition I needed and it would format it and copy files like normal. During the setup process it would stop so I could enter the PC name and Administrator password, then it would take care of everything else until I got to the desktop. That's exactly how I want it to work.

I've upgraded to nLite version 1.05 beta now, and every time I boot up with the install CD in the drive it automatically goes to the setup (rather than displaying the message 'Press any key to boot from CD'). I've tried recreating the CD with the different unattended install formats (FullUnattenged, Defaults, etc.) and it always does the same thing. Is there a way to make it so it will only boot off of the CD if I press a key?

Also, in the newer version of nLite it no longer stops to let me enter the PC name and Admin password. In the previous version I left these entries blank while setting up the unattended CD and it stopped at that spot during the XP setup process. I tried doing the same thing in 1.05 beta version but it just enters the defaults for those (registered name -blahblah3857198).

Is there something I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just read through the guide again. Looking for a side note:

For the past few days I've seen a lot of posts from people asking if they could use nLite to integrate their apps (or if that will be possible in the future).

The answer is (and always will be): NO!! BLOODY HELL NO!!!! I think that should be made very clear in this guide as one of the first lines, so that those who look for ways to integrate their apps get pointed to either: http://unattended.msfn.org or Unattended Windows or Application Installs or Windows Post-Install Wizard or just plain and simple: the ever so helpfull SEARCH

(and YES, I am a bit frustrated about this.... :realmad:

Just read through the guide again. Looking for a side note:

For the past few days I've seen a lot of posts from people asking if they could use nLite to integrate their apps (or if that will be possible in the future).

The answer is (and always will be): NO!! BLOODY HELL NO!!!! I think that should be made very clear in this guide as one of the first lines, so that those who look for ways to integrate their apps get pointed to either: http://unattended.msfn.org or Unattended Windows or Application Installs or Windows Post-Install Wizard or just plain and simple: the ever so helpfull SEARCH

(and YES, I am a bit frustrated about this....  :realmad:

* BUMP *

I agree here. I have seem many myself. Although I am not as aggrovated as our friend here is... i do believe it should be noted somewhere at the top. :)

Qz

@qzmicro: I wasn't really as annoyed as it may seem from that post, just wanted to make it very clear that this *I may be new but I don't have to read the manual* attitude has to stop coming from some of the newbies (I'm not saying they are al like that, we've all been in that stage allthough it's easy to forget about that ones you're beyond it.)

edit: hell I think you all get the point...

Edited by Ghost82

First posting no response or mightbe wrong thread?

Or has any1 (nuhi perhaps?) an idea where to post this.

When using nLite 1.0b6 to integrate the following files:

- RVMUpdatePack1.3.1.cab

- RVMAddonsWMP10_1.0.cab

- RVMAddonsFull_1.0.cab

got problem on first logon, looks like Windows XP not running user

cmdlines.txt, useraccounts.cmd and autologon.reg

(those files already in C:\XPCD\$OEM$\ folder)

Looking into %windir%\profiles folder, seems that the %windir%\profiles\username folder not created as specified in useraccounts.cmd so that can not automatically logon, but still can logon manually by typing user name as an "administrator".

; useraccounts.cmd
net user "xxxxxx" 123 /add
net localgroup Administrators "xxxxxx" /add
net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited
REGEDIT /S autologon.reg
EXIT

; autologon.reg
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName"="xxxxxx"
"DefaultPassword"="123"
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

Last time using nLite 0.99.9 Beta with RVMUpdatePack 1.2 that problem not happened.

Pls help if there's any wrong steps done in using nLite:

- for removing Windows XP components

- or using tweak-setting

- or needs editing other file(s)?

to solve that.

Thx

• 2 months later...