Complete Beginners Guide to nLite Unattended CD's

DigitalAZ

Posilutly, Absitivley...

been perusing the forum for a while and found that

Too many good threads get lost in all the comments

[i.e. 32 PAGES to find how to do x,y,z]

AND that each writer comes up with their own way of doing certain things that quickly become mutually exclusive

[i.e. set tagfile=\WPI for %%i in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist "%%i:%tagfile%" set CDROM2=%%i:

vs.

IF EXIST %systemdrive%\install\applications.cmd GOTO RUNBATCH

SET CDROM2=

IF EXIST D:\install\applications.cmd SET CDROM2=D:

IF EXIST E:\install\applications.cmd SET CDROM2=E:

etc. etc]

THIS IS NOT CRITICISM!!!! they are all wonderfully helpful...

BUT [please excuse my big BUT here]

it really, really, really helps for one person to put it all together so that some one who wants to make one can, without having to reverse compile or learn a new language.

:D thank one and all you for your time and your efforts

You're welcome

1) Inspite of having entered my CD Key & name and inspite of having chosen Unattended Support, I ended up with a screen asking me to enter the CD Key.

I'm having this same problem when I test my iso in Virtual PC. Does anyone know what the problem is?

What's about that Virtual PC ?? Is it something that i can test my iso's on without formating my hdd and install my OS on it ?? If yes, then gimme some clues, where can i download it !! :)

Try modifying the WINNT.SIF manually. Also make sure you are using a valid key. An invalid key will force the setup program to prompt you for a valid key.

The download links for VirtualPC and VMWARE are included in this document. Please read the provided information.

Posilutly, Absitivley...

been perusing the forum for a while and found that

Too many good threads get lost in all the comments

[i.e. 32 PAGES to find how to do x,y,z]

AND that each writer comes up with their own way of doing certain things that quickly become mutually exclusive

[i.e. set tagfile=\WPI for %%i in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist "%%i:%tagfile%" set CDROM2=%%i:

vs.

IF EXIST %systemdrive%\install\applications.cmd GOTO RUNBATCH

SET CDROM2=

IF EXIST D:\install\applications.cmd SET CDROM2=D:

IF EXIST E:\install\applications.cmd SET CDROM2=E:

etc. etc]

THIS IS NOT CRITICISM!!!! they are all wonderfully helpful...

BUT [please excuse my big BUT here]

it really, really, really helps for one person to put it all together so that some one who wants to make one can, without having to reverse compile or learn a new language.

:D thank one and all you for your time and your efforts

Thank you :thumbup

nice guide, i'm gonna try and use it to slipstream office and nlited xp together :D

Good Luck!!

Mar, 06 2005

• Added nLite v0.99.8 beta 5 specific install instructions
  • Added nLite v0.99.8 beta 5 specific usage instructions
  • Started archiving out-dated section of guide
  • Removed out-dated PDF

Enjoy! :thumbup

Report any errors or suggestions :hello:

• 1 month later...

hi i thried to customize win2000 pro with SP4 :)

but when i customized it all i got there critical errors:

* p6disp.gp_

* p6font.gp_

* pclxl.gp_

* pjl.gp_

* pscrptfe.nt_

i ignored it and tried to install win on my parents pc but it needed a lot of files(not the files mentioned above)

how can i fix these 2 probs :?

EDIT: build 6717

no errors when deselection modems/printers at driver tab

but i read that p6disp is used by printers

363mb is filesize

i made an unattended installation disk, but it still asks me to input the License Key.... Any idea's why?

i did input the license key when creating it...

and also, when re-installing windows XP

how can i make it ask me if i would like to format my hdd?

hello everybody..i have a strange problem...

All my unattend parameter are ok and are effective but...i can't find mine the winnt.sif on the ISO whereas i see on my XPSP2 directory :s

Do you have an explication about that?

thx :)

EDIT: Nlite use sysprep for the post install? if yes is it possoble to not using sysprep?

• 3 weeks later...

Great guide. Please do update. Please add tips about driver installs. And please, does anyone have any tips about using a disk that has had all these things slipstreamed on to it (SP2, hot fixes and drivers) as a source disk for building Bartpe (the winpe on steroids boot cd?) I've tried and it seems like not all of the compressed drivers that are in the root of i386 make it into the bartpe environment.

Also, would be really useful to know if there's a major difference between using nlite and how it adds drivers and the method used here

http://www.btsunattended.net/Projects/DriverPacks/

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably because I'm sick (*cough* *hack* *cough*) that I'm not getting the description, but perhaps you could add to the guide more detailed info on the Unattended Mode option on the General 1/2 tab of Unattended Setup page. I just switched from .99.8 to .99.9 and don't remember this option from before (was a long time ago that I set those options, anyway).

@TheJerk

For info on setting up the answer file-winnt.sif , that is...

MS's tool for building the answer file is Setupmgr.exe; it is contained in \Support\Tools\DEPLOY.CAB on your install CD.

Extract DEPLOY.CAB to a folder of your choice & run the setupmgr.exe if you want to build your own answer file. Read up on the answer file in the deploy.chm file in the DEPLOY.CAB.

• 3 weeks later...

As a newbie this guide is great. I can't wait to try out all this techy stuff.

One problem I am having is getting .net framework to load up. I used the save and deploy method and install direct from internet but it produces an error half way through. Could it be my laptop is not up to it or do I need to install something else as I cant use Nlite til I get this sorted.

Got it.

I was told that I had to use the spx version of nlite.

remember to install the runtime files and nlit files in the SAME folder.

it works a treat for those of you who dont want to install 23meg of .net stuff!!

:thumbup

• 4 weeks later...

I can't Integrate hot fixes With nLite 1.0b4.

nlite formerly integrates hot fixes without any problem but has no effect in source files.

The manual integration progress has failed.

the old version of nlite (.097) has no problem

:wacko:

Edited by ykaramati2