Complete Beginners Guide to nLite Unattended CD's

DigitalAZ

Any pointers or places to go greatly apreciated

i'm new as well, so i can't be of much help. having said that, i'd suggest reading all of the sticky'd topics that apply to you. also see this guide, although it seems pretty outdated. the unattended forum is a good place to look as well.

getting answers to questions seems a bit tough in general. sometimes no one knowledgable responds (but at least they try), or you get the famous "use the search function". often, those belonging to the latter group fail to question that you may have already searched and came up empty. rather than repeating, or simply linking to information, they prefer you spend another 4 hrs. poking around in the dark.

Don't know if you used this one or not but there is the search button at the top of these pages that has the spyglass next to it and you can do a much better job of searching with it. The search boxes next to the Google name are quite limited.

DL

• 2 weeks later...

1) Inspite of having entered my CD Key & name and inspite of having chosen Unattended Support, I ended up with a screen asking me to enter the CD Key.

I'm having this same problem when I test my iso in Virtual PC. Does anyone know what the problem is?

look in your winnt.sif file in i386 directory, remember to X out all of your key, still maintaing the xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

copy that line here

Just a note.... make sure that you replace your key with X's...

np, with the xxxxx's i meant to tell him to maintain the structure of the key, so its not 123456.....25 but 12345-67891

I have in it that format. I entered in my cd key using nlite, so when I look at my winnt.sif, it has quotations around it. I didn't know if this was a problem, so I took out the quotes and it's in that format, but when I test it in Virtual PC, it still stops and asks me to enter in my cd key. Is that something with Virtual PC, or is there something else I'm overlooking?

Thanks for the help. :)

It's still not working. Virtual Machine gives me a message that says:

Virtual Machine Additions is not installed on this virtual machine.

Virtual Machine Additions provide enhanced performance and integration features on guest operating systems. These features include pointer integration, folder sharing and time synchronization. To install Virtual Machine Additions select Install or Update Virtual Machine Additions from the Action menu.

Here's my winnt.sif:
;

; Generated by nLite 0.99.7 beta

;

[Data]

MsDosInitiated = 0

UnattendedInstall = Yes

[unattended]

UnattendMode = FullUnattended

UnattendSwitch = Yes

OemPreinstall = Yes

OemSkipEula = Yes

FileSystem = *

WaitForReboot = No

NoWaitAfterTextMode = 1

NoWaitAfterGUIMode = 1

TargetPath = "Windows"

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

Hibernation = No

[systemFileProtection]

SFCQuota = 0

[Display]

Xresolution = 1024

Yresolution = 768

BitsPerPel = 32

[GuiUnattended]

AutoLogon = Yes

AdminPassword = *

TimeZone = 15

OEMSkipRegional = 1

OemSkipWelcome = 1

[userData]

ProductKey = "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

ComputerName = "DESKTOP"

FullName = "G"

[RegionalSettings]

Language = 0409

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup = "HOME"

I've tried to install the additions, but it won't load. Maybe because I don't have an OS on the virtual machine yet?

• 3 weeks later...
1) Inspite of having entered my CD Key & name and inspite of having chosen Unattended Support, I ended up with a screen asking me to enter the CD Key.

I'm having this same problem when I test my iso in Virtual PC. Does anyone know what the problem is?

What's about that Virtual PC ?? Is it something that i can test my iso's on without formating my hdd and install my OS on it ?? If yes, then gimme some clues, where can i download it !! :)