Complete Beginners Guide to nLite Unattended CD's

DigitalAZ

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Am not too conversant with tweaks, nlite and all, but I did make a valiant effort to make an unattended XP SP2 Cd.

Ended up with the following problems and will appreciate if someone can help me sort it out so that I can make a final CD that rectifies the problems I faced as the novice I am!

1) Inspite of having entered my CD Key & name and inspite of having chosen Unattended Support, I ended up with a screen asking me to enter the CD Key.

2) Once I got through the install (after entering the CD Key) and after restart, XP asked me to enter my name and names of more users if I wished to. Upon entering just my name, XP promptly created an user with my name, while also having another user by the name "Administrator". Why the two users? Does it have anything to do with having played with the registry ... I mean using the registry tweak as suggested? Now that there are two users, I tried but can't get rid of the guy called "Administrator" ;) ... andy suggestion? Also, any suggestions how I can make it so that it does not happen next time?

3) While using nlite, I choose my language as English (United Kingdom). Does this change the keyboard layout too? I mean, I now have the problem that my "@" sign has been replaced by the "Sterling" sign and my ' " ' (quote) sign has changed to "@" and other such changes :(

4) In nlite, I had shown Windows Messenger the exit and upon completion of the XP install, had msn 6.2 installed. When trying to save my signin name "name@hotmail.com" and password, I get a baloon asking me to use the format "name\domain.com" and a couple of choices. It does not allow me to save the name@hotmail.com. Infact, if the "Remember" box is checked, it does not login at all and shows the earlier said balloon. Uncheck it and the sign goes smoothly. Did I disable some service that was suppossed to be automatic?

Really will appreciate help from you folks!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I am new here and I would like to know what to do after having created an ISO file with nLite. I would like to test it of course but without burning it to a CD before I know that it is working properly.

I know that I can install Virtual PC from Microsoft but first things first.

1. How do I test the iso file? It cannot run itself right?

2. Do I have to unpack it with IsoBuster or UltraIso?

3. Can I unpack it to the HD to see if it works?

4. Are IsoBuster and UtraIso de utils to do the job?

5. When UltraIso burns it to a CD does it then unpack the Iso file and will you see the same as if you are looking to the gold XP CD with setup.exe and all?

Thanks for your help. RK

Thanks for your help

Ok so I read the guides and simple enough it seems. I now have an SP2 XP bootable CD with some tweaks. But it makes an EXTRAS directory I didnt ask for - can I just delete these now and re-image it?

Likewise can I use this as a starting point for my unattended DVD ?? Looking to have a slimline WinXP, Office XP and all my usual apps on one DVD.

Like you Methanoid, I am looking to make a

Unattended DVD ?? Looking to have a slimline WinXP, Office XP and all my usual apps on one DVD

Have just slipstreemed SP2 and mounted the image on Microsoft Virtual PC Trial.

Am testing it at the moment, few silly mistakes, like mistyping the Reg key etc.. blame xmas drinks.

Dont really understand Virtual PC, as image works even though I didnt put any raid drivers on to the image? (I suppose I will not be able to test driver Raid driver intergration on a vitual drive)

Anyway hope to have it eventually format drive into 2 partitions install the raid drivers, and XP Pro.all my latest hardware drivers Then the 7or 8 programs I want, so it will be DVD size

only just found this Forum so it looks like a lot of reading to do

Any pointers or places to go greatly apreciated

Any pointers or places to go greatly apreciated

i'm new as well, so i can't be of much help. having said that, i'd suggest reading all of the sticky'd topics that apply to you. also see this guide, although it seems pretty outdated. the unattended forum is a good place to look as well.

getting answers to questions seems a bit tough in general. sometimes no one knowledgable responds (but at least they try), or you get the famous "use the search function". often, those belonging to the latter group fail to question that you may have already searched and came up empty. rather than repeating, or simply linking to information, they prefer you spend another 4 hrs. poking around in the dark.

I have made a customized cd using nLite, now I want to run it from Hard Drive for Windows installation, I boot from dos n install but I don't know what is the unattended command in dos to run nLite customized installation in hard drive... :(

does ANYONE knows what regtweak Nlite uses for 'set detailed view as default for Explorer'?

I want to set list view as default... If I know Nlites regtweak perhaps I can use it to make my list view regtweak!