Winpe Customized Install

kron

Hi all, what a great forum

I´m a total newbie to the WinPE product but I have some experience using RIS and other scripted installations using cd´s and floppy disks. My question is this:

Can I use WinPE to create a CD wich installs XP pro unattended but have some GUI at the start of the installation where I could type in the computer name and where the PC-account is supposed to end up in the AD? ( Similar to the RIS menu ) This CD would be used where the RIS server isn´t available. I could just make an ordinary unattended CD but then the technician, who starts the install, would have to wait for the computer name prompt.

I´m quite amazed of the stuff some of you´ve been doing

thanx in advance

Kron

( the devil is in the details )

Ok, The frst part of your question is easy the second is confusing care to expand on wht you are really looking for, as Domain Roots are not supported in WinPE. But other than that all of the settings needed to access a domain are easily integrated. HTH :wacko:

Hi,

You can use all kinds of scripting / programming languages in WinPE. Wise, kix, batch, vbs, hta..... whatever you like you can use. So to answer your question: yes all you want is possible, but you really have to create it. Personally I like the HTA & VBS option. B)

Hope it helps,

Kind regards,

Michael Waterman

what I´m wondering is where I can keep the the answer file after it is changed through some interface. Obviusly it will not be kept on the CD, I can not see how to keep the file on the C drive as the whole disk is repartitioned and formatted in the unattended setup.

I think that I would use VBS to create this functionality, but I´m not getting the big picture yet.

KRON

what I´m wondering is where I can keep the the answer file after it is changed through some interface. Obviusly it will not be kept on the CD, I can not see how to keep the file on the C drive as the whole disk is repartitioned and formatted in the unattended setup.

I think that I would use VBS to create this functionality, but I´m not getting the big picture yet.

KRON

You could have WinPE load a ramdrive:

http://www.wug-nordic.net/articles/winpe_ramdrive.htm

Then perhaps you could use something like this to alter the answer file:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_...Q_20828466.html

Another way is to do your partitioning and formating via a script and then write the unattend.txt file to the HD. Where I work, we have been using this method for a while. Basically, I setup the HD, then write the unattend.txt file along with several other script files to the HD. None of these files had existed before being written, they were all part of a single large script file.

Mike