Sims 2 Installation Help (Directx 9.0c problem)

siaoant

Hi guys,

I desperately need help

I am currently running on

P4 2.8 GHZc

512mb ram

ATI Radeon 9600 256MB

WinXP SP2 (comes with DirectX 9.0b)

It seems we got to have DirectX 9.0C installed in order to run The Sims 2. (Mine is original version)

The thing is, my directx9.0c setup does not seem to be able to run at all. when i click next>> in the installation dialog, it immediately led me to a screen whereby it says installation for directx 9.0c is completed. I thought maybe my PC was very fast and installation had completed within 1 sec.

I was so wrong. I finished installing The Sims 2 and excitedly went straight to run the game.

A message "Unable to initalise DIrect3d. Please ensure that DIrectx9.0c is installed"

Well never mind, I went on to microsoft site to download the directx9.0c setup but the setup brought me to the "installation completed" screen almost immediately again.

Next, I went ahead with updating my graphics card driver. It didnt help.

I even went on to browse many many forums and tried all kinds of methods and even resorted to using DirectX Eradicator 1.09 (though risky) to uninstall the current version of Directx 9.0b.

After that i opened dxdiag and checked that my version had been reverted to direct x8.1. After that I tried to do all I could again but the best I could do was to get it back to Directx 9.0b again. Sigh.

Can someone help me please? Has it got to do with my version of windows?

I have done everything I could except reformat.. Thanks in advance

i have a similar pb.

so i'm very interested in solutions too :)

it's so strange because most of the players don't have any problem, with Radeon 9800, XP and SP2....

my hardware :

P4 2.4 @ 3.25

2x256 PC 3700

120Gb

ATI Radeon 9800 /w Catalyst 4.9 (tested with DNA Drivers 4.9 too)

WinXP Pro SP2 (Directx 9.0c integrated)

i install The Sims 2 perfectly well, and when i want to launch the game, it tells me that my Radeon 9800 is not DirectX 9.0c compatible !!

:o

in English, it means ~ "no DirectX 9.0c compatible graphic card detected! Please check that your computer is equiped with a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphic card, and that the most recent drivers given by the company are installed. The application will be closed"

in French:

sims2-erreur.jpg

because i don't really see the pb and i use a personal WinXP installation (created with separated 'SP2 splitstreamed' & 'nlite 0.98.8bi (safe) reduction'), i'm thinking about a pb with removing a component that The Sims 2 will need, or other things...

can it be possible, that nlite reduction could cause such a bug with dx9.0c or it's something else ?

@siaoant:

the setup of Directx 9.0c is very very quick because it checks if dx9.0c is already installed or not i think, and if yes so it doesn't reinstall it

i wanted to reinstall dx9.0c too, to see if my pb could be resolved, and it doesn't reinstall it (1-2 seconds).

thx A LOT in advance for help :}

plz read the new topic i wrote :

-> new MSFN topic <-

it seems DirectX 9.0c included in SP2 could be the cause.

i don"t know how it is possible that directx 9.0c included in XP SP2 can be corrupted or something like that.

@siaoant:

if u have SP2, then u should have directx 9.0c.

if it's an unattended WinXP /w splitstreamed SP2, you could simply have a similar problem to mine.

:thumbup

Well if the problem is Direct 9c then you may have to reinstall your OS. The problem with Direct X is that it cannot be uninstalled to my knowledge and due to the fact that Direct X is integrated into the OS like IE that you may need to reinstall or at least see if the OS can be fixed by either a restore to a earlier date or possibly a repair by using the OS CD.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

To those of you who are having a hard time running the Sims2 game because of the directx 9.0c problem there is a solution. Make sure that you don't have the beta version of service pack 2. This version will not let you update your directx to 9.0c. You will need to unstall the sp2 beta and install the complete version. To uninstall the beta version, you can go do the following.

go to run.

type in regedit

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICRSOFT/WINDOWSNT/CURRENTVERSION.

Once you get there, delete these values

1)CSDversion

2)Current Build

after you have done this, install the complete version service pack and you will get directx 9.0c

hope this helps lattr

hello

I am one of the 1000nds of people with this problem. I've been looking for a solution on boards like these and I've logged it at EA Technical Support. I just got a reaction (in the weekend imagine that!). At this point I'm re-installing the game so I don't know yet if it will work, but let's hope so ;o)

In the meantime I'll share my reply from EA:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting EA technical support. I am sorry that you are having difficulty.

This error is usually caused by a faulty installation of DirectX.

First, make sure your disk is in the drive. Afterwards follow these steps.

Open My Computer.

Right click on the Sims2 icon and choose Open.

Double-click on the DirectX folder.

Right-click on the DSETUP.dll file and choose Copy.

Close this window.

Open My Computer again.

This time, open your C: drive (usually called Local Disk).

Now open the WINDOWS folder.

Open the SYSTEM32 folder.

Right-click on an empty space in the folder and choose Paste.

Now try running the installation again.

If the issue persists you will need to reinstall DirectX.

You can get this program either off the disk, or from Microsoft's website.

To use the DirectX installer on the disk:

Open My Computer.

Right-click on the Sims2 icon and choose Open.

Open the DirectX folder.

Double-click on the dxsetup icon.

This will install DirectX 9.0c on your system.

If you would like to install DirectX directly from Microsoft:

Go to www.microsoft.com

DirectX is available on the Downloads page.

If the trouble continues, The issue you are experiencing is due to corrupted game files. In this case we will need to remove all the files associated with the games in order for them to work properly.

We have to go into your Windows registry and remove the parts of the game program that were not removed from your system. We will be focusing on 2 files that were installed with the game into your registry. First, we will need to make a backup of your registry. We do this by using a tool called Scanreg;

1. Click on Start then go to Run.

2. Type in scanreg /backup.

3. Click on Ok.

You will see a window briefly appear on your screen and then go away. Once you have seen this that will tell you that you have made a backup of your registry. If you have Windows XP you can skip this step.

Now we will remove the keys for The Sims 2 from your registry. To do this, follow the steps below;

1. Click on Start then go to Run.

2. Type in regedit and click OK.

3. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

4. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Software.

5. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled EA Games.

6. You will see a folder labeled "The Sims 2".

7. Right click once on this folder; a menu will appear.

8. Select the delete option and left-click; this will remove the folder. The window may take you to the top of the screen. Simply scroll back down to where you were before.

9. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Microsoft.

10. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Windows.

11. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Current Version.

12. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Uninstall.

13. Locate a folder labeled {8AB8D458-939E-403F-0097-9BA1C1F013D5}

14. Right click once on this folder; a menu will appear.

15. Select the delete option and left-click; this will remove the folder.

Delete the two Sims 2 folders located here:

C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2

and here:

\\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2

You have now removed all entries for The Sims 2 from your system. At this point you should be able to re-install your game without an issue.

I hope it's usefull!

one note: if(!) it is the solution, please spread this post on at least one other board so all simmers are happy simmers again.

it didn't help me.

i have a unattended windows xp + official SP2 installed on my computer and on my brother's computer (almost the same version).

i can't uninstall directx 9.0c, i don't know if it's possible, but i cannot reinstall it because when directx9.0c installer looks for already DX versions installed, it finds my current version and skip the installation.

note: in dxdiag all looks fine without any problem. In DX game, no problem (except for the sims 2 which doesn't want to run).

note2 : the game is working fine on my brother's computer.

i already tried to uninstall (+ reg cleaner) and reinstall the game, same problem.

update :

i tried to create a new Windows XP account with Administrative rights.

so i tested to run The Sims 2 again, and it worked perfectly well !

i need explanation if you see why in my Windows XP account the game doesn't run (directx 9.0c error) and in a new account (so, same computer, same drivers, same softwares,...) it runs itself without any problem ??

:crazy:

please help me, i would want to run the game using my account, and not running it in a 'special Sims 2' account.

thx

• 1 month later...

I have more simple solution,but you must have installer for direcx9.0b and directx9.0c.

first step

extract the directx 9.0b in one folder

second step

extract the directx 9.0c into the other folder

third step

notice all the *.cab file in the directx 9.0c folder

forth step

copy all the *.cab file from directx9.0c and replaced it in the folder for directx9.0b

final step

install the intaller in directx 9.0b

and walla, you with have directx9.0c already install in your computer

this will definitely install directx 9.0c and fully workble without any error no more compelx step

i had the same problem where it would not play on my desktop, but it would play on my laptop. i come to the conclusion that ea games suck a**. i got my money back from them and told them next time they release a game to do some beta testing for christ sakes.