Win98SE Service Pack 1.61 Error

MtK

@MtK

Looks like one of your VxD files (those that manage the hardware-filesystem abstraction) might have got borked. Try "expand"ing those from the win98 CABs. Or see if your VFAT*.* files are ok?

BTW, I don't think the author of the Win98SE unofficial SP foresaw use of his pack on non-English versions of windows. But you can try your luck with 1.6.2 (the latest) to see if your problem is fixed - http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html.

@prathapml

the error only happends after installing the SP, the Win89SE Hebrew Enabled, is working just fine without it...

About the non-English support, I know it says only English, but Hebrew Enabled, is the same as the English version (all menus are in english) just with the option to add Hebrew to the keyboard.

(not like Hebrew Localized, that turns the ientire system to Hebrew)

I just tried a clean install of Win98SE Heb Ena, & I still get this error after applying the Service Pack (1.5 & 1.6 & 1.61 & 1.62)...

Is there an option to add Hebrew to the English version of Win98SE?

I finaly got replied by the author of the SP, who didn't understood either what this error meens...

He said it should work on an Enabled version...

He also said Version 2.0 should be out by the end of October (more compatible)

That's it for now...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

OK.. I get it.. I shouldn't have installed the service pack.. but what do I do now?

I turn on the computer and instantly I get the blue screen with the fatal exception message weather in safe mode or if I go to last logged. If I push "any button" to end the program as instructed then I go to a black screen with just the hourglass for the mouse. The computer isn't frozen because when I move the mouse the hourglass moves, but that's it.. nothing else. (I'm writing on another computer right now because that one has NO funcionality right now)

Is there anything I can do other than reimaging the entire computer?

if this is a known problem why is the update still on their website??

HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

OK.. I get it.. I shouldn't have installed the service pack.. but what do I do now?

I turn on the computer and instantly I get the blue screen with the fatal exception message weather in safe mode or if I go to last logged. If I push "any button" to end the program as instructed then I go to a black screen with just the hourglass for the mouse. The computer isn't frozen because when I move the mouse the hourglass moves, but that's it.. nothing else. (I'm writing on another computer right now because that one has NO funcionality right now)

Is there anything I can do other than reimaging the entire computer?

if this is a known problem why is the update still on their website??

HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

As you can read at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/w...t7/wrkappa.mspx there are 4 different basic types of Windows 98 - United States, Middle East, Far East and Thai. These 4 types contains many different systems files because of different functionality. Gape's unofficial service packs are for United States versiom, and it means that this service pack will be fully functional on English, German, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Danish, Finnish, Russian, Polish, Hungarian, Greek, Turkish, Czech, Slovak, Slovenian versions of Windows 98 SE (with some text strings in English) but not on Hebrew, Arabic, Thai, Japanese, Chinese and Korean Windows 98 SE.

As you can see at http://old.winpack.org/petr/win98_internat_files.html (column EHE = Enabled Hebrew) only few files (greee ones) are exactly the same in U.S. English and Hebrew Enabled versions of Windows 98 SE.

I see the only possibility - just to replace all changed files back.

You may start with kernel32.dll and other vital system files.

Petr