Registry Tweaks

I think SP2 can"t manage my 2Gb ram.

How to tweak that?

SP2 has nothing to do with your RAM. And 32-bit WinXP's mem architecture allows upto 4 GB of RAM to be accessed fine. So you need no tweak for that.

And yes, if you "think" there's something wrong with your hardware settings that dis-allows your 2 GB to be "managed", please post it in a new topic.

Anyone has a regtweak for getting rid of Transition Effects for Menues and Tooltips?

Also for disable Allow Indexing Service for faster file searching that is enabled by default when installing a new OS..

The (transition) effects has been discussed a lot. Please read through this topic - its too big a subject to explain briefly.

As for Indexing:

;Disable Indexing Service
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CiSvc]
"Start"=dword:00000004

under Custom visual settings, it might be nice to have this:

;-----
;-----  Custom Visual Settings
;-----
;-----  0 - Let Windows Decide
;-----  1 - Adjust for Best Appearance(All On)(Comment out everything after first HKEY)
;-----  2 - Adjust for Best Performance(All Off)(Comment out everything after first HKEY)
;-----  3 - Custom (make changes below)
;-----

just so people know what the settings are for the first HKEY

2 things, one a request and the other some input:

request- details view in the 'Save' popup box when saving a file... have been looking for this for awhile.

input- in regards to your regtweak:

;-----  Make the Windows XP registration with Microsoft unnecessary
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"RegDone"="1"

I've used X-teq's X-Setup for quite awhile before finding MSFN (this place is awesome!), and with that program you can record your tweaks. Using their program, the recorded output file was:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; This file was automatically generated by X-Setup Pro (http://www.x-setup.net/)
; --
; HIGHLY IMPORTANT: Before using this file be sure to read the documentation for
; "Record Mode". Not doing so might lead to unexpected results
; when using this file!
; --
; The WARNINGS ISSUED below informs you if any warnings were reported. If so, the
; plugin(s) has invoked functions that can not be recorded to this file. In this
; case, this REG file might not work as expected.
; --
; WARNINGS ISSUED: No - this REG file should work without problems
; --
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"RegDone"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Welcome\RegWiz]
@="1"

I believe the 2nd setting is for the 1st visit to the MS Update site, but not sure if it still applies due to MS's constant updating of their site, in particular BITS...

just thought I would share....

Here's what X-setup says about it:

Before you can use the Windows Update features, you normally have to register in order to use this service.

By clicking on the "Set Registration Done" button, you can use this service WITHOUT registration, so no data from your computer is sent to microsoft.com.

NOTE: "Windows Update" is not available for Windows 95 or NT.

Last I heard, prathapml wanted to go through the entire new registry tweak file with a fine-tooth comb to ensure it met with his strict approval before linking to it in the first post. Until then, I believe he's posted a link to the updated one in the second post.

I dont know why it hasnt been added to the first post.. I updated the tweaks a few weeks ago and has also been re updated by Yzöwl since..click my sig and scroll down to bottom of the thread for the updated tweaks file

@Mods :yes:This thread has become to long and confusing.Its time to start a new thread I think..agree?

glent and Yzöwl, may it would be easier if you guys just linked directly to the file from your sig? that way anyone can always get the latest version, no matter how old the post is.

just a thought...

@ atomizer

Two reasons why!

• I don't agree with using signatures

• It's not my file!

In my opinion the file is too bloated, it is full of unnecessary stuff, and like the thread will take too long to comment in /out. For the the less experienced of us it can become dangerous, for the more experienced of us pointless.

I dont know why it hasnt been added to the first post.. I updated the tweaks a few weeks ago and has also been re updated by Yzöwl since..click my sig and scroll down to bottom of the thread for the updated tweaks file

@Mods :yes:This thread has become to long and confusing.Its time to start a new thread I think..agree?

Last I heard, prathapml wanted to go through the entire new registry tweak file with a fine-tooth comb to ensure it met with his strict approval before linking to it in the first post. Until then, I believe he's posted a link to the updated one in the second post.

That's true, cartoonite.

Its easy to attach the new file, or to make a new thread. But lot of ppl take that to be an official confirmation, and use the ENTIRE tweaks file. Invariably that ends up applying tweaks they did not intend to, and they post errors and other so-called "problems".

Also, it seems like many of the attached files in this thread haven't yet had their new tweaks make their way into the new tweaks file. And then, I intend to put up my tweaks file as well. And that might take some time to merge and remove similarities, as my personal tweak file is over 300 KB.

The attached tweak file SHALL stay as it is, for now.

For an updated version, use glent's updated file from second post attachment.

what is this registry does?

;-----
;-----  Show Windows classic folders
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\WebView]
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000

;-----
;-----  Disable UPS
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UPS]

Is this correct registry?

;-----  
;-----  Disable Error Reporting Service
;-----  
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ERSvc]

what is this registry does?
  • 1> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\WebView]
    "DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
  • 2> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UPS]
  • 3> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ERSvc]

• 1> Sets "Use Windows Classic Folders" in the "Folder Options" settings under the "Tasks" setting in "Folder Options".
  • 2> Sets the "UPS Service" to disabled (UPS Service let's UPS's interact w/the OS)
  • 3> Disables the "Error Reporting Service"

Answers are all available in this thread if you search...