Registry Tweaks

if you want to replace notepad why dont you rename the exe to notepad.exe then us ethe makecab command then place the new file in the i386

Ps this only works on 1 file based programs so if it has other files youll have to use the $oem$ folder

You mean like if I use the $OEM$ folder, I can bypass the WFP? That is if I use it, during or after installation, will XP not tell me that its changed and ask me if I want to set it right?

@Jogy: If you use makecab and modifype and replace the file on the CD, it will indeed never ask you to change the file back, because Windows will think it is an official file.

@war59312: I tried your method, but it still won't let me delete the All Users\Documents directory.

Also, I haven't seen this registry tweak in this topic either:

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\DownloadSites]

It removes the download sites for the themes from the registry, thus removing the "More Themes Online..." option in the Themes dropdown box.

I couldn't find this one on the internet, so I guess I was the first that found this one out :P

I came across this old reg file on my system today whilst looking for something else.

It is for 'policy settings' for XP Home Edition, which doesn't have gpedit.msc.

It may make useful reading and even though it is not up to date for XP2, the majority, if not all of it will be still valid even on Pro.

It is rather large, so I am adding it as an attachment with an additional txt suffix, for those who would prefer to just read it in their browsers.

To use, this file will need completely reading, the .txt suffix will need removing, the semi-colon removing from the first line and all unrequired options and comments etc. editing.

policies.reg.txt

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN ME THE WAY TO ENABLE CLASSIC LOOK WITHOUT A THEME FILE?

;-----

;----- Classic Menu (change to 00000001 to enable classic look)

;-----

;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoSimpleStartMenu"=dword:00000001

This key will enable the classic look but you will be unable to reset the winxp standard look!!! So what is the correct key? thanks

@leodio

Please search and /or read , don't just ask...

Even with the file in the post directly before yours, a search on classic gave these:

;Force classic Start Menu
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

;Force classic control panel style
"ForceClassicControlPanel"=dword:00000001

;Load specific visual style or force windows classic
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"SetVisualStyle"="<path of msstyle to use or blank to force windows classic>"

;Turn on classic shell
"ClassicShell"=dword:00000001

Pick the one you're after, probably the 3rd one!

Yes but if you use this

;Force classic Start Menu

you can't use NEWXPSTYLE anymore!!! only classic start menu can be set and not NEW START MENU or CLASSIC START MENU !!!

I MEAN: in standard XP install it set up NEW STYLE XP MENU and you can change NEW STYLE XP MENU and CLASSIC MENU

IF you use "NoSimpleStartMenu"=dword:00000001 it setup CLASSIC MENU but you can't change in NEW STYLE XP MENU anymore!

i want classic start menu but i want also have the possibility to switch from CLASSIC and NEW but if i use:

i can't switch anymore to NEW START MENU and so i must use only classic menu forever!

No you can add the key, SiMoNsAyS has just given to toggle it back, or if you have administrative rights, go to Control Panel => Taskbar and Start Menu, or probably still right click on the Taskbar and set it from its option there.

[Edit]

The problem you probably have is that, the initial key you gave was for machine policy, (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE), not user policy, (HKEY_CURRENT_USER), so you will need to toggle the Machine key to dword:00000000 first, and remember to use the User key in future.

Please also note that there was a semi-colon on the first reg code you posted which shouldn't be there i.e. ;[HKE.....

[/Edit]

Edited by Yzöwl

I came across this old reg file on my system today whilst looking for something else.

It is for 'policy settings' for XP Home Edition, which doesn't have gpedit.msc.

It may make useful reading and even though it is not up to date for XP2, the majority, if not all of it will be still valid even on Pro.

Oh yes, I remember that.... Back from the time when everybody with an XP home wanted all the functionality of Pro!

Well, you don't need third-party files for that. Microsoft's own documentation, updated for SP2. Check out this Excel file, it has all the reg changes that "gpedit.msc" (group policy editor) makes directly - link.

(I wish I had this a year ago!)

yzowl and simonsays, leodio prolly needs the other way of doing it.

@leodio

Put these lines in winnt.sif to have classic start menu by default:

[Shell]
  DefaultStartPanelOff=Yes

You can go back to XP start menu if you want to, if you do it this way.

Always try to set up what you need from winnt.sif, and look to regtweaks only if there's no way from winnt.sif.