Registry Tweaks

If I put stuff in the .\$OEM$\Install folder will it autoinstall if no reference is put in the "cmdlines.txt" file?
No, it won't.

You can have the file simply sitting there and doing nothing.

The .NET will install no matter what you put in cmdlines.txt. What matters, is the content of your xpcd.reg.

And if you are worried about what toecutter said, then just install dotNET beforte applying regtweaks. Personally, I install all the apps I want, and apply regtweaks right at the end.

Oh! one other thing. Does the Information Bar talked about here:

;Disable Information Bar Prompt in Internet Explorer

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\InformationBar]"FirstTime"=dword:00000000

refer to that yellow strip that appears in IE with SP2, the one which gives messages like 'Macromedia Required' or something like that? Isn't that important? I mean, without that info, how would one know why things don't work the way we expect it to?

Cheers

OK, here's something that really bothers me -=> Turning off Common Task Bar (left side column in Explorer.

It has been listed in the attached file, but it doesn't seem to turn it off ...

using regshot/regsnap, i've found two keys that govern the on/off state of thi Common Task Bar ...

;Disable Common Task Folder

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]"ShellState"=hex(3):24,00,00,00,33,81,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

01,00,00,00,0D,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"WebView"=dword:00000000

whereas to enable it:

;ENable Common Task Folder

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]"ShellState"=hex(3):24,00,00,00,33,A1,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

01,00,00,00,0D,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"WebView"=dword:00000001

When applied to uA, it the registry file will run, BUT wouldn't applied.

however, if i manually apply this tweak and reboot, the Common Task Bar would be off.

so, any1 knows how to really turn if OFF during uA session?

Oh! one other thing. Does the Information Bar talked about here refer to that yellow strip that appears in IE with SP2
No, it refers to the bar that appears on top of the page, saying "pop-ups blocked" or "active content has been disabled" (yellow strip).

The "Macromedia xyz required..." kind of messages you refer to, are "dialog boxes", not Info bars.

@prathapml: RE: Monitor turn-off... you misunderstood what I meant by "one size fits all".

With most registry tweaks, we don't need to export the setting to apply to other machines. But for changing the monitor turn-off time, I was advised to set it and export the registry key.

I'll repeat my question: Is there a registry tweak that is easily changable for setting the monitor turn-off time to a set number of minutes? Or is the only method to take your favorite three settings and for each of them export 4 different registry keys with 30 character long hex codes?

And if someone has the desire: Why did Microsoft need to make this registry setting so complicated and cryptic?!

SibTiger

NO

Only way is export those long key's but they contain a lot of things within them and not just monitor so makes sense if you have things set the way you like it then export the whole key that cover's it all. I have seen the page where it tell's all the things it covers but its somewhere within my fav's and I just don't wanna search it.

I auto export em when i'm setting up a CD

lines 2068 - 2074

i'm thinking...

;-----
;-----
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
;-----  No file-folder connections
;-----    (i.e., de-link saved HTML files from their associated "_files" folder)
"NoFileFolderConnection"=dword:00000001

should be...

;-----
;-----  No file-folder connections
;-----    (i.e., de-link saved HTML files from their associated "_files" folder)
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"NoFileFolderConnection"=dword:00000001
;-----

no? i'm no expert by any means, so please double check this.

Prevent Windows from checking Zone Information in files when user tries to open them in Windows Explorer

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]
"LowRiskFileTypes"=".exe;.bat;.com;.cmd;.reg;.msi;.htm;.html;.gif;.bmp;.jpg;.avi;.mpg;.mpeg;.mov;.mp3;.m3u;.wav;"

question...

can ya use wild cards in reg values? if so, and since all the "malicious" file types are in this key, can we say:

"LowRiskFileTypes"=".*;"

don't know if the ";" needs to be there or not. i'm dumb.

well, i got through 16 pages of this post before i called it quitz. one question: on the very first line, "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" is commented out. is this for safety?

i assume it should be uncommented when incorporating it into an ISO (which i'm still trying to figure out what method is best)?

No.  It's commented because it's a comment.  You can just delete it, though I don't think anything will happen if you uncomment it.

false

first line is there because it determines that it's a reg file, if that line is not present, then code won't be imported. old registry version (win9x) had as first line

REGEDIT 4

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

thanks for clearing that up... i think -- i didn't pick a way to incorporate the reg file, but if i decide to auto run it in the ISO, should the comment remain (does nLite already set "reg edit 5"), or not, or does it even matter?

while i'm at it, thanks to all of you for contributing to this project so that dummies like me can benefit. i can hardly wait to build my first "clean" windows ISO. i'm taking my time and trying to learn more about it so i can get it reasonably correct the first time around, because, wow, it's a lot of work if you want to build a complete, customized, ready-to-use install.

Actual reason for commenting out that first line is::::

Some people are so foolish to apply all without regard.

Then they want to complain that this don't work or this don't

prath made this file so everyone can select what they need, not apply all and hope for the best. If you don't know what it does or are clueless then don't apply it. It's your sys so learn what each is before APPLICKING it.