Registry Tweaks

right when u press START, on the top left, theres 2 icons, internet explorer and outlook express, they are right beside the my documents, my pictures icons. i looked at ur registry collection but i cant find the keys

this is what u have listed

i got these from the first post on the first page

* <snip>

Edited by prathapml

Please don't post large chunks of code without using appropriate tags.

can someone plez tell me how to remove the INTERNET EXPLORER and OUTLOOK EXPRESS icon from the start menu?
Yes, found it. The below code was not present in the attachment of first post.

The below registry tweak will remove the "Pinned programs" list entirely. (i.e., IE and OE will go, and no other pinned programs will stay either). The "Most frequently used Programs" list that appears below IE/OE will stay.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoStartMenuPinnedList"=dword:00000001

This needs to be applied at T-12 if you want it to apply for all users. Please post back whether this did what you wanted.

sry about post large chunks of codes

i just tried it

;Remove IE and OE from start menu

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoStartMenuPinnedList"=dword:00000001

worked perfectly, removed ie & oe from start menu

thanks a lot prathapml

i was wondering, if i dont have nero installed on my system yet and apply this reg tweak before

;-----

;----- Show the real CD-recording speed in Nero (example: 21.6x writing speed)

;-----

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Recorder]

"ShowSingleRecorderSpeed"=dword:00000001

will this tweak work after i install nero?

2 more regtweaks (sorry if they have been already posted):

This hides control panel applets you want (edit at your taste):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load]
"ncpa.cpl"="No"
"odbccp32.cpl"="No"
"desk.cpl"="no"
"inetcpl.cpl"="no"
"intl.cpl"="no"
"joy.cpl"="no"
"netsetup.cpl"="no"
"nusrmgr.cpl"="no"
"powercfg.cpl"="no"
"sysdm.cpl"="no"
"timedate.cpl"="no"
"hdwwiz.cpl"="no"

This removes the "new-->Photoshop file" in context menu (the bad thing is that it appears again everytime you start Photoshop CS):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.psd\ShellNew]

Hi,

First post here ... didn't know what to or rather how to search for a solution and hence this ;)

Is there some kind of registry entry that is there that would enable me to see the date in the sytem tray, beside the time? Like 05 10:35Am, where the 05 is todays date.

Hope there is something like that!

Cheers!

Well... Not exactly what I was looking for! I wanted a registery entry that would put a date in the systray. Something like Date (Format I choose)+ Time (Format I choose). Don't like having tons of programs run on startup and all ... just for a couple of basic fancy requirements!

Cheers

BTW. that time format looks nice! :) Wonder if its possible with plain old XP

Well... Not exactly what I was looking for!  I wanted a registery entry that would put a date in the systray.  Something like Date (Format I choose)+ Time (Format I choose).  Don't like having tons of programs run on startup and all ... just for a couple of basic fancy requirements!

Cheers

BTW. that time format looks nice! :) Wonder if its possible with plain old XP

i remember something similar, i used to add my nickname near the clock with a simple regtweak but i'm not sure about the date...

I thought I had every possible useful tweak imaginable, and then I found this one. Isn't it annoying how in "My Computer" the drive description comes before the drive letter? This tweak puts the drive letter in front where it belongs. :thumbup

; Show drive letters first

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]

"ShowDriveLettersFirst"=dword:00000004

All options:

• 0 = Default display (drive letters after description)
  • 1 = Network drive letters first, Local drive letters after
  • 2 = Descriptions only, no drive letters displayed
  • 4 = Drive letters before description

Ah, now I found it.

I did a search of MSFN for "ShowDriveLettersFirst" and only came up with one obscure hit. That's why I didn't think it appeared anywhere.

Perhaps you could change the description for this tweak in your master list. "Display drives in longhorn mode" is not very clear! I had seen that before, but didn't understand what it did. Also, the description for setting 4 "All drive letters shown" doesn't explain that the drive letters are moved in front of the description (which is the reason most people would use this tweak!)

One more idea: would it also make sense to post the tweaks as text so this thread is "hit" in site searches?

Thanks for the exhaustive list you've put together!