Registry Tweaks

You can refer to the part 1 of registry tweaks in this forum by clicking this LINK.

Since this (Part-2) thread is already informative, and used by many people, it is now "Sticky"ed (to prevent multiple threads asking for registry tweaks).

This thread is the sequel to the first. It contains registry tweaks that you can use during your unattended installs. For the sake of having a new beginning, an attachment is here, containing most of the registry tweaks from Part1 (made and sorted by JohnnyDo). Copy/Paste whatever tweaks you want from it into your RegTweaks.reg. It was checked by many here, and found good. DO NOT USE THE ATTACHED FILE DIRECTLY - it is ONLY FOR REFERENCE. Use only the tweaks that you really need, and can understand.

It would be good for searching, if this thread had only registry tweaks that aren't already found in the ZIP file. Also, off-topic chit-chat being kept to a minimum would be nice. :)

Please read the entire set of tweaks in this attachment, before submitting a new tweak. And use the

blocks for registry code.

[b]UPDATED RECENTLY[/b] - all corrections and additions suggested in this thread (uptil the edit-date mentioned below) have been merged - [b]re-download[/b] to get the new/corrected tweaks.

Registry_Tweaks.zip

Edited by prathapml

I think there is an error in this reg file (line 139-140)

;-----  Disable Built in Windows CD Burning System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoCDBurning"=-

edit by prathapml:

This error has been fixed. And for the non-believers, the QuickLaunch tweak in the above file works perfectly too. A new,clean thread will be started if an updated tweaks reg is made. The attachement in above post will be updated by me when there is sufficient additions to be made to it - until then the above download will stay.

edit 2:

Use RegShot to monitor changes when setting something, and make your own registry tweaks:

link to download

edit 3: UPDATED tweaks package - 16-March-2005

Despite the first edit, here's a new tweaks set. Try it out, and then a new thread will be made.... Thanks a lot to glent who has sent in an updated reg file that contains suggestions that came since the last update by me.

This updated file is herewith attached to this post. Please download it if you want an updated version of what's above. Please note that I haven't yet fully checked it, so consider this to be "testing status".

Registry_Tweaks.zip

Edited by prathapml

Ok I'll start the discussion.

I have few question about some of the registry tweak I came across. I need to know exactly what these are for:

1.[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\{11D31951-7848-48E3-89C2-6762AF05C427}User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
"SaveZoneInformation"=dword:00000001

2.[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\tips]
"Show"=dword:00000000

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}]

4.[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
"NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation"=dword:00000000
"Win31FileSystem"=dword:00000000
"Win95TruncatedExtensions"=dword:00000001
"NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001

Also I need to know how to enable Quick Launch Bar under Windows XP SP2.

please use CODE blocks where needed

Edited by prathapml

@Mercury

The quick launch bar enabling is still the same as given in that ZIP file. It has not changed with SP2.

@jdoe

That line is actually there for those who want to reverse the action of applying "dword:00000001" for that value. It has to manually be run. So its not a problem. But thanks for looking thru and reporting errors. Do tell here, if there's any additions you want to make.

EDIT:

First post updated, please read.

@Mercury:

1.- it's related to inet explorer and display security warnings (i think)

2.- disable ballon tip popups on explorer (i think)

3.- speed up LAN not showing LAN printers and prog tasks

4.- speed up ntfs disabling the creation of short names, access times and so on

@prathapml good idea this new thread ;)

also there is 1 tweak that removes the delete confirmation dialog of the recycle bin, it has caused many issues on my system so i don't recommend it :no:

A note for all people who would be downloading the above all-in-one registry tweaks file:

It is meant to be cut-down by you. That is, remove whatever reg-tweaks you don't need to apply, or whatever you don't understand. Just use it as a library from where you can pick-up only as many tweaks as you need and paste into the .REG that you're using. So, if a particular tweak looks useless to you, just remove those!

@prathapml

I looked closely at the reg and there is no other key for reversing settings previously made but if you're right it's an error anyway because line 137 it's for HKCU and the reversing value is for HKLM and that will not reverse the setting

I think line 139-140 should be...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoCDBurning"=dword:00000001

I'm sorry to insist

Thanks prathapml for posting this, hopefully we can keep this one from becoming so messed up that noone can really tell what is new and what isn't. Thanks also to JohnnyDo for compiling all of this for us, I was working on it myself, but gave up due to the ammount of webpages in the last one that I had to weed through. Glad you were able to do it. :thumbup

Just downloaded the completed regtweaks file.

JohnnyDo has done a perfect job, and you prathapml, thnx for posting and keeping it up! I'm very happy with it.

When i was looking through it on the Media Player section, is saw that it was all about wmp9.. Any chance someone is going to post the WMP10 regtweaks here?

I saw them somewhere through the forum but am unable to find them back.. :blushing:

Ill keep getting back here for those, because it's annoying that i must accept terms etc etc.

Keep up the good work!

;-----
;-----  Sort Start Menu and Favorites in Alphabetical Order (All Windows)
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder]

should be

;-----
;-----  Sort Start Menu and Favorites in Alphabetical Order (All Windows)
;-----
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder]

Thanks.

Updated the attachment, to correct what you suggest.

@everybody

If you have corrections to be made to the attachment, and you're sure you're right, then please PM me instead. The modifications will be made, and I'll add in the first post the most recent edited time. Let's not clutter the thread with required corrections, and confirmed modifications.