Multiple graphic Drivers with control panels

Morkeleb

Hello.

I want to create a slipstream windows xp cd which

includs drivers for Radeon AND Nvidia, including the control panels.

As you know, the control panels have to be installed with the

setup application. But it is only possible/only makes sense if the

hardware exists.

So: How can I check if the appropriate hardware exists and/or

the drivers were already installed and only then install

the control panels?

I use the RunOnceEx method.

(Btw, if anyone has experience with the actual audigy 2 drivers

for the installation method described above I would be grateful also.

I think the audio drivers pack from Bâshrat the Sneaky includes

them (once they come out again updated) but only the bare drivers

without all the addons - the extracted drivers are about 50 megs!)

Kindly,

Morke

Problem with doing a combination pack with the display drivers is the control panels. If your not interested in the control panels then you can just take the drivers and place them into a single folder, such as:

~\Drivers\ATI

~\Drivers\Nvidia

and place all the driver files from the ~\WinXP folders into the above folders. Windows will find them if you put "Drivers\ATI;Drivers\Nvidia" in your WinNT.sif file, with the OemPreinstall=Yes switch. The control panels will have to be called once your into the O/S from an installer link on the desktop, as attempting to put them both into an unattended install will cause errors, unless someone knows the checks for the individual boards which will allow for a script to do it in unattended. By checking the id of the board, you can theoretically do the unattended from the script for the individual boards, but you would need to have the id's for all the video cards so as to assure that the correct drivers are installed. Having attempting this myself, that is what I have concluded.

I would also like to add if you have an AIW card, then that further complicates things, if your going to attempt to install things such as the ATI DVD player, because that too wont install on Nvidia based boards and attempting to do so will only cause errors in the install. Though the basic drivers are installed ok, the rest will not. I can only assume the same problems with the Nvidia Personal Cinema, as I don't have one of those, on an ATI card. Thus, these things will only be able to install once you have come to the desktop. This can be done by leaving the ATI and Nvidia drivers in the C:\Install\Drivers\ folder and placing a link to them in your $OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Desktop folder for installation after the original install. One other way to get around this is to make two seperate installers one for Nvidia and one for ATI and silently install the one onto the corresponding video card based system, then use the full silent installations for each individual one which can be found elsewhere in the forum.

You don't need to worry about the nVidia graphics control panel. Just have the drivers (the ForceWare) in the path you use for drivers, and use "OEMPnpDrvrsPath" method (described in the msfn guide).

That's to integrate the driver setup for nVidia graphics, and will automatically install the control panel as well. The best thing about the "OEMPnpDrvrsPath" is that it will install nVidia drivers&CPL only if there's an nVidia card found on the system. It takes care of everything.

Hoping that helps...

ATi is much more complicated, though. I don't have an ATi card, so can't comment on that one. Someone else who knows about it, and has done it, might come along to this thread, and reply.

You don't need to worry about the nVidia graphics control panel. Just have the drivers (the ForceWare) in the path you use for drivers, and use "OEMPnpDrvrsPath" method (described in the msfn guide).

That's to integrate the driver setup for nVidia graphics, and will automatically install the control panel as well. The best thing about the "OEMPnpDrvrsPath" is that it will install nVidia drivers&CPL only if there's an nVidia card found on the system. It takes care of everything.

Hoping that helps...

ATi is much more complicated, though. I don't have an ATi card, so can't comment on that one. Someone else who knows about it, and has done it, might come along to this thread, and reply.

Thought that was the case of the NVidia control panels, just couldnt remember, as it's been a while since I did an unattended on that system, the ATI on the other hand I do remember having the problem with it's installation on systems which had the NVidia card instead as it always gave an error when trying to install and crashed the unattended on me when I tried it. Which is why I use the way I suggested and made two different UXPCD's one for NVidia based and one for ATI based systems, as I couldn't get around the problems.

On the ATI based system, I use a shortcut on the desktop which installs the media center after my install is complete. This is the only thing I use a batch file to install during my installs for the ATI control panel to be installed as well. I am going to change this in a future update I am working on for my unattended which will call a script to check and see which board is being used, once I find the calls for it, and place them both back onto one DVD, (what I use for all my unattended's.) Though I will have to resort to using some sort of batch file to install this, it seems this is the best way of doing this as well as a couple of other installations I want to do in the future.

The approach posted from Kaspin should do the trick:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=25118

It will only install the Control Panel and SmartGART through RunOnceEx if an ATI card has already been installed through Windows-Setup.

Similar approaches I use to install tools that are only needed if some special hardware is present. For me it works fine.

If you search, you will find there was a thread about this where we suggested about a half dozen methods to detect which type so you can install control panels (and coolbit tweaks/tvtool for nvidia or powerstrip and such for ati or whatever you want). I even wrote a 264 byte program (hopefully you don't need an extra CD for that :lol: ) that returns a errorlevel depending of which one it is...

[edit] Found the link: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=26097