Symantec Antivirus Corporate & Norton Antivirus

Sanjay

Can someone please explain to me the differences between 'Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition' and 'Norton Antivirus 2004'. I have installed and tried both. 'Norton Antivirus' seems to slow down the computer immensely, while 'Symantec Antivrus Corporate Edition' seems to have no effect on the system. Also, when I open documents or spreadsheets in Word and Excel they seem to take much longer to open as it says that 'Norton Antivirus' is scanning the files before opening. But with 'Symnatec Antivirus Corporate Edition' the files take no extra time to open and also it does not say that the files are being scanned. In other words it seems like 'Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition' does nothing at all whereas 'Norton Antivirus' scans and watches everything on the computer which also leads to a major system slow down. Now what I really don't understand is, if 'Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition' provides as good protection as 'Norton Antivirus' without slowing down the system, then why does Symantec/Norton not use the technology of 'Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition' in 'Norton Antivirus Home Edition'.

Norton Antivirus scans Office documents by default when opened. However, you can turn that off, if you like.

Norton Antivirus protects the PC it's installed on, so it's useful for a single PC.

On the other hand, Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition is another story. You can read PDFs on its CD to learn about it. In brief, Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition provides protection to PCs, either single or network.

Norton Antivirus scans Office documents by default when opened. However, you can turn that off, if you like.

Norton Antivirus protects the PC it's installed on, so it's useful for a single PC.

So what you are saying is that Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition does not scan office documents by default, right? So is there a way to make it so that the documents are scanned by default?

Hmmm

Ok, here goes

Norton Antivirus was created with the basic notion of protecting end users. It includes "plugins" that help to keep your computer clean and virus free. These "plugins" are used by Office so that it can "collaberate" with norton antivirus. It was designed to provide an allround antivirus app for the End User i.e YOU

Now on the other hand The Corporate Version of Symantec Antivirus is geared towards businesses the require a more robust application for Antivirus protection. It utilises Client/Server technology to achieve this. IT DOES NOT include most of the plugins the NORTON ANTIVIRUS contains. However the latest ver 9.0.1.1000 includes pop mail scanning.

Simply put NORTON ANTIVIRUS does a good job at protecting you all around, but at the cost of speed i.e slow document opening and so on. SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS ,corporate ver, was made so that it can be used in corporations with more dire needs minus the nice gui and so on so forth.

@Sunil

Thanks for the detailed reply. So what you are saying is that, Norton Antivirus due to it's extra plugins, does a more thorough job protecting against viruses, albeit at the cost of system speed. But should it not be 'Symantec Antivirus' that is more thorough, since as you said the corporates have more "dire" needs. The lack of a nice GUI in a corporate product is totally understandable, but why less protection (I assume that because of less plugins)?

You can make NAV faster if you delete some components, especially the recycle bin protection.

Inside the folder NAV2004, delete these folders and files:

ADVTOOLS, MANUAL, CDSTART.exe, CDSTART.HLP, AUTORUN.INF, and README.TXT.

Inside the folder SUPPORT, delete these folders and files:

EDISK, MSI, MSIE, NAVTOOLS, PCA_HOST, PRESCAN, RESCUE, DRMINST.DLL, and TFDTCTT8.DLL.

If you need to make Emergency Disks, do not delete EDISK, nor RESCUE.

If you want your Recycle Bin protected, do not delete NAVTOOLS.

If you use pcAnywhere, do not delete PCA_HOST.

If you want to make a pre-installation scan, do not delete PRESCAN.

Up one level, inside the folder NAV, delete these files:

IAMAPP.DLL, OMIGRATE.EXE, SWPLUGIN.DLL, and UPSWPLUG.EXE.

Inside the folder SYMSHARE (...\NAV\EXTERNAL\COMMONFI\SYMSHARE\), delete these files:

DJSNETCN.EXE, SSAUTORN.EXE, and SYMUISS.DLL.

Inside the folder HELP (...\NAV\EXTERNAL\COMMONFI\SYMSHARE\HELP\), delete these files:

CPDDRM02.CHM, CPDDRM02.CHW, CPDDRM03.CHM, and CPDDRM03.CHW

On my computer, NAV2004 is now 57.7 MB instead of 90.9 MB, a 33.2 MB reduction in size.

SOURCE: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=125501

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone please explain to me the differences between 'Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition' and 'Norton Antivirus 2004'.

here are some similarities between the two:

- both are designed to make your computer run very slow

- most of their code is useless crap

- uninstalling any of them is a terrible pain

- the screw up your recycle bin

- updating takes years and offten cause trouble

- they are very expensive

- they are obsolete when compared to some free alternatives, in every aspect

I think they only survive because of corporate upgrade licenses (cheaper) and people that trust the name (what a mistake :lol: ) or that never tried anything else.

Their only improvements seem the new licensing and features like slower than ever scanning speeds and more bloat...

I think anyone who uses anything else once (kaspersky, nod32, avast, you name it) or that bothers looking deeper into it never goes back. Norton is definately at the very bottom of my list.

• 4 weeks later...

i used Symantec for a while but I have noticed it miss a few things, also its interface is a bit naff, nortons is much better.

on a side note, i am now using Kaspersky Personal 5, which is great, it has a better interface than previous versions and has a great track record for picking up viruses. Costs around £25 of their web-site. The install is just under 10 meg.

it can scan 100s of different types of archives, much better than norton/symantec. i always went for norton because of the name, but then i found out the statistics compared to cheaper/free AV software.