Windows XP Versions

ner

Hi All, Could anyone tell me the differnce between the below Window XP Pro CD Versions:-

Windows XP Retail

Windows XP OEM

Windows XP Corporate

Are all these cd's the same version of windows, and therefore the only difference is the cd code entered?, or is each CD differnt.

as i have been asked to create a Unattended install cd and i want to know if i use say the oem version cd will the end user be able to use the retail cd code ?

cheers all

@wyattXP

thanks for that info, so if i create an unattended install, and leave the product code empty will that then prompt the user to enter her code, and then it contiue installing??

The editing of setupp.ini is a grey area legally.

That link is to be taken educationally, and no discussion about that allowed.

If you HAVE to experiment, that article gives sufficient details. Try it, check out how it works, needs some leisure hours to kill.....

As for what the difference is, from the point of view of making unattended setups, they are all the same. The difference is retail (and OEM if not SLP'ed) needs to be activated. The VLK editions (also known as corporate) don't need activation.

@prathapml

Thanks for the guidance, re this, purhaps you could help me out, what i am trying to do is to create an unattended install cd for windows xp pro, as i have a couple of freinds that what to set up there pc the same as me so i can help then out with issues.

But i dont know how to set it up using there licence codes, so i am looking for a way to allow them to enter there own key code.

I think the best was is to leave the key code blank, and then they will be prompted, but the problem with this is that i have a retail version and she has a an oem version, so the key code will not work? :wacko:

any ideas?

As for your intention, you can make a complete unattended installation with appropriate Product Key and at the end, run "Sysprep -reseal". This will reset the Product Key and others. When your friend turns the computer on, he must put his Product Key.

@splendid

Thanks this looks much easier than playing with the PID numbers, so will running sysprep allow him to put in his OEM key code, as i have a retail version of windows xp?

sorry to be thick :}

As for what the difference is, from the point of view of making unattended setups, they are all the same. The difference is retail (and OEM if not SLP'ed) needs to be activated. The VLK editions (also known as corporate) don't need activation.

@prathapml

What's a SLP'ed OEM version? Does there indeed exist an OEM version of Windows XP that doesn't need activation?

Just curious.

No.

OEM, Retail, Upgrade, and Corp Product Keys do not mix.

If he has an OEM Product Key, you have to install unattended OEM.

You can make a slipstreamed OEM (with Service Pack and hotfixes) with YOUR Product Key and install Windows XP. After the installation is done, run "Sysprep -reseal".