(Why) Do I need Java with SP2?

Spinman

I just did a new installation with a SP2 slipstream disk.

From what I have read - the slipstream service pack removed the MS virtual machine (Java) that was on my original XP disk - so I am lead to belive that I do not have Java installed on my machine.

Should I install either Sun Java or MS Vm Java at this time - or wait until I need it in the future? Which leads me to my main question...

Briefly - what does Java do - and how would I know when it was required and not available (so that I could install it in the future)?

Only slightly confused...

most sites use a language to display the main web and "do" more things as @laurens said Java it's like a "web codec", so it's needed if you are an inet-man. i really preffer sun java so i remove the m$ one and install Sun's during my unattended installation.

From what I have read - the slipstream service pack removed the MS virtual machine (Java) that was on my original XP disk - so I am lead to belive that I do not have Java installed on my machine.

i know that the JVM was removed from SP1 and because of that there was a SP1a, but i think in SP2 it's included too (not sure about this, please correct me if necessary).

No, just the opposite Simon.  SP1 still had the MS JVM, so they released SP1a to remove it so they could avoid the lawsuit.

that's what i wanted to mean with "i know that the JVM was removed from SP1 and because of that there was a SP1a", sorry if it wasn't clear.

back to the topic, i'm 60% sure that JVM it's included together with SP2.

Java is really much more of just a "video codec".

Java is a programming language. You can do anything with it. You can do some "applets" witch is what we are refering as "web codecs" here. But you can do some standalone program (like Azereus, a BitTorrent client, JAlbum, a html album/website creator, etc.) like you can do some in C++. The Java language look pretty much the same as C++. There is even a Operating System (OS) running in Java and a special CPU for it from Sun Microsystem.

Java is a portable language. That means that the programs (or applets) written in Java will work on all system: Windows 95 98 ME 2K XP, Linux, Mac, Sun, BeOS, BSD, UNIX, quite everything. But for it to be able to run on a computer, you need an "interpreter". Thats the only way you can run the same program on different OS. That is the cause of the "slowliness" of Java. So you need to download the "Java Runtimes" if you want to run Java programs/applets.

As the question "Do I need Java?" I say yes you do! Java is really nice. It is slow but platform independant. There is many web sites using it. Many programs are written in Java. Its only around 15 Mb so its worth it.

Good luck!

Some web-sites and programs need Java to be able to run.

So, the simplest way to decide whether you need it, is to see whether the web-pages and apps that you normally run, are running fine before you install the Java VM. If you need the JVM, its recommended by MS themselves to use the version released by Sun. MS-JVM has been dis-continued.

So am I correct that by slipstreaming SP2 - I did not install any default JAVA (MS or Sun)?

If so, I'll download and install manually-

I have been using the rebuilt system off and on for the past two weeks and have not noticed any problems - so I may not be hidding a Java Based Web Site...

Thanks!

So am I correct that by slipstreaming SP2 - I did not install any default JAVA (MS or Sun)?
correct!

When you install from a slip-streamed WinXP+SP2 CD, no JVM is installed.

If something asks for it, you can always download and install it - no need to install it before you need it, since it slows down the system a bit.

If you have been comfortably using ALL the things that you normally do, and seen no problems (as you say), then you don't need any Java VM.

Correct, no JavaVM is included in SP2. Below is a post I made in another thread on this forum regarding MS' JVM:

I personally think that banning Microsoft to include Java into Windows will cause Java to cease, and it was a bad move from Sun. They should have settled for some reasonable money. I don't think that tomorrow anyone will want to use a techology not natively supported by future (and todays) versions of Windows. And as long as Sun's java looks so pathetic I'll stick to the current Microsot version.

Well, they did get $2B out of Microsoft when they settled their case...

And why exactly is Sun's java so "pathetic"? The fact that it's actually based on the current JRE rather than version 1.1.4 (1,2), which dates back to 1997 (1)?

Heck, even MS acknowledges that their JVM is outdated.

The MSJVM is obsolete code and will no longer be enhanced or developed.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/7...6/msjvm_dev.pdf
In short, use Sun's VM.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=14175&hl=

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/applications/msjava.htm

MsJava is better

Light and no bug detected after release 3810

Sun Java is to heavy

I got no problem with any website......

Sorry for Sun Java fans but it's my opinion !

And MS support MS Java until 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/

Recognizing the need to provide a smooth transition for current users of the Microsoft® Java Virtual Machine (MSJVM), Sun Microsystems and Microsoft have agreed to extend Microsoft's license to use Sun's Java source code and compatibility test suites. This extension allows Microsoft to support the MSJVM until December 31, 2007, providing customers with the ability to transition from the MSJVM on a schedule and plan that is most effective for them.

We've got a lot of time for migrate to SunJava !!!!!

Light and no bug detected after release 3810
No bugs my arse
Sun Java is to heavy
Any evidence to back that up or are you just speculating?
I got no problem with any website......
Funny, neither do I with Sun's VM.
Sorry for Sun Java fans but it's my opinion !
Well, you're entitled to it, but you might want to reconsider it.
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/

Recognizing the need to provide a smooth transition for current users of the Microsoft® Java Virtual Machine (MSJVM), Sun Microsystems and Microsoft have agreed to extend Microsoft's license to use Sun's Java source code and compatibility test suites. This extension allows Microsoft to support the MSJVM until December 31, 2007, providing customers with the ability to transition from the MSJVM on a schedule and plan that is most effective for them.

We've got a lot of time for migrate to SunJava !!!!!

Did you even bother to read the details of the settlement? Allow me to explain it to you - while the court action was still pending, Sun won an injunction against MS preventing MS from doing ANY development on their VM at all. After settling the case, they were allowed to release security updates for it if necessary. That does not change, nor will it ever change, the fact that it is based on the Java 1.1.4 core which came out nearly 7 years ago. That doesn't change the fact that the MS JVM is heavily exploited by spyware as a way for installing itself (ever heard of CWS?).