Intel_INF doesn't work in MS Virtual PC 2004?

Pl0pie

:rolleyes: see my question.

I followed the instructions from both this board and intel readme.txt to "unattend" install intel chipset drivers and it doesn't work in the Virtual PC environment. My question is if this is normal and if it will work in the "real" environment. :blink:

:unsure:

I've been told that VMWare is as bad as Virtual PC because it doesn't allow to choose your hardware anymore?

I know that a long time ago back in the days of the first versions of VMWare the hardware you had in your virtual environment was the same as your real environment and this is not possible in recent VMWare version?

Need to know this before I go buy it, see...

:unsure:

I've been told that VMWare is as bad as Virtual PC because it doesn't allow to choose your hardware anymore?

I know that a long time ago back in the days of the first versions of VMWare the hardware you had in your virtual environment was the same as your real environment and this is not possible in recent VMWare version?

Need to know this before I go buy it, see...

I don't recall VirtualPC using anything other than virtual hardware ever, and I was playing with VirtualPC about three years ago already.

Does anyone know if there's a procedure to actually emulate your current rig's hardware (ie video, chipset, sound).

Either I don't know how or where to actually set that if it's actually a viable option.

With that in mind,

Is doing a fresh install of UA-XPCDs on your rig (not VMware) the only option to make sure drivers are actually installing correctly?

Does anyone know if there's a procedure to actually emulate your current rig's hardware (ie video, chipset, sound).

Either I don't know how or where to actually set that if it's actually a viable option.

With that in mind,

Is doing a fresh install of UA-XPCDs on your rig (not VMware) the only option to make sure drivers are actually installing correctly?

Unfortunately, a clean install pretty much is the only way. There are some things you can test before actually formatting, though. You can always burn your ISO to a CDRW and boot from it to make sure your drives are detected if, for example, you're testing your RAID/SATA drivers.

Otherwise, I personally have a cheapo 8GB hard drive that I got for like $10 somewhere once that I use as a test drive. Just unplug your main hard drive and plug that one into the main IDE channel and test away on it. When you're done, you can just unplug that drive and plug in your normal hard drive again.

I don't recall VirtualPC using anything other than virtual hardware ever, and I was playing with VirtualPC about three years ago already.

I'm talking rather about 5 years ago ;)

The first versions of VMWare were a dream, you would have identical hardware as the host machine and you HAD to install the drivers for it! This was really neat back then.... so if any of you know where to find the original (could have been beta, but was working stable) VMWare version 1 let me know.

It's likely that such a scenario was determined to be a bad idea later on. I can think of many issues that would arise from such a situation which would lead to stability problems and such. I'm betting that emulating hardware leads to a more stable computer in general.