Nvidia Driver Delete Some Files

serialzs

@all

what file i can Delete safely i have a Nvidia Driver 6631 xp whql...

i want it to delete the setup.EXE and other help language support...

i use only english version... for unattended driver install...

anyone can teach me how? :unsure:

-=[serialzs]=-

You may remark 4 interesting groups of files with the same basename + a suffix corresponding to a particular language.

These files begin with :

NVRS*.dll

NVWRS*.dll

NVCP*.hlp

NVWCP*.hlp

I usually only keep those with FR and ENG suffix and I never had any error because of these removed files. (beware, there is an exception : I never tried to remove nvcpl.hlp because of its only 1 letter suffix but maybe it's safe to remove it too).

You can also remove *.cab and *.exe.

It think so but I'm not 100% sure (I can't remember) because when installing these files in my current system, it may use old control panel files already installed.

I will tell you after my next unattended install (which will surely come when BtS release his new soundDriver Pack :P ).

I use the US English driver, WHQL - Forceware 61.76.

I install those drivers through unattended (OEMPnpDrvrsPath=) - same as what you are doing, I think.

I delete these files, and save 2.48 MB. I don't know if anymore files can be deleted, but I do know that these are safe to delete:

data1.cab
data1.hdr
data2.cab
ikernel.ex_
layout.bin
setup.bmp
Setup.exe
Setup.ini
setup.inx
setup.iss
Setup16.bmp

The nVidia graphics control panel is available this way. No functionality is lost.

So this confirms that Control Panel works with .inf installation during unattended setup.

I can confirm the files I mentionned above can also be removed with no problem at all (of course, you have to keep the suffix for your language).

NVRS*.dll

NVWRS*.dll

NVCP*.hlp

NVWCP*.hlp

i have a beta driver v6600...

here is the list of files...

advanced.tv_
aliagp.sy_
cad.tv_
dcc.tv_
default.tv_
finance.tv_
keystone.ex_
modes.txt
nv4_disp.dl_
nv4_disp.inf
nv4_mini.sy_
nvappbar.ex_
nvapps.xm_
nvcod.dl_
nvcpl.dl_
nvcpl.hl_
nvdccapp.cf_
NVDisp.nvu
nvdspsch.ex_
nview.dl_
nvmctray.dl_
nvnt4cpl.dl_
nvoglnt.dl_
nvshell.dl_
nvsvc32.ex_
nvtuicpl.cp_
nvudisp.exe
nvwcplen.hl_
nvwddi.dl_
nvwdmcpl.dl_
nvwimg.dl_
nvwsapps.cf_
nwiz.ex_
Readme.txt

can i do it the same in my drivers v6631¿¿¿ :unsure:

@prathapml

should i edit the nv4_disp.inf if i delete those files you mentioned?

-=[serialzs]=-

Well, what to keep is a thing that I can't confirm, since I don't have the beta drivers. What to delete, is something you can be sure of.

And about the INF file - there's no need to edit the nv4_disp.inf - since the driver itself is unaffected. The deletion just eliminates the InstallShield-based installer to save space.

I've just made a script to remove the files listed above. I tested it with 65.xx and 66.xx with no problem at all.

you can get it here : nvShrink.cmd.

Usage :

1- Copy nvShrink.cmd in your nvidia drivers folder.

2- Execute "nvShrink.cmd xx", xx being the suffix for the language files you want to keep (ex : "nvShrink fr" prevents *fr.dll and *fr.hlp from being removed). If no argument is given, default suffix "eng" is used.

3- Pack it with 7z, rar, cab or just install it to your system.

What it does :
1- Check for suffix files so it does not process shrinking if suffix does not exist.

2- Expand packed files (if you pack the files later for your unattended cd, you'll have better results if files are unpacked before)

3- Remove the file list given by prathapml

4- Rename temporarily the language files (hlp and dll) to keep

5- Delete any other language files

6- Rename files to keep back to their original extension.

Edit : I updated my script to remove some more files. I just tested it on the lastest beta 66.32 and everything went fine. It sized down from 25.3 Mb (original zip file with cabbed drivers inside the zip archive) to 6.85 Mb (7z archive with juste 1 language and uncabbed drivers inside archive).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you use BtS driverpacks (lan and audio), but if it's the case, just unzip nForce files and remove AudioDrv, AudioUtl and Ethernet folders and any file in root folder (which means you keep only GART, IDE\WinXp, MemCtl and SMBUS). Remaining files will be something like 2.0Mb, just add these folders in OemPvpDriverPath and you're done.

• 3 weeks later...

First you need is the English only driver package from nVidia

The only files for install nVidia ForceWare drivers are than the following:

NV4_DISP.CAT, NV4_DISP.INF and the files specified under [sourceDisksFiles] in the nv4_disp.inf.

For example 66.81 beta needs the following:

[SourceDisksFiles]
nv4_mini.sys = 1
nvcod.dll    = 1
nvsvc32.exe  = 1
nv4_disp.dll = 2
nvoglnt.dll  = 3
nvcpl.dll    = 4
nvmctray.dll = 4
nvcpl.hlp    = 4
nvwddi.dll   = 4
nvnt4cpl.dll = 4
nvwcplen.hlp = 4
aliagp.sys   = 6

Most of the times those files look compressed as the last letter is truncated. If folder size is more than 15 MB the files are not compressed. Rename those files back to original and do makecab them afterwards except the following:

NV4_DISP.CAT

NV4_DISP.INF

Total driver size is then 9.0 MB :)

This is for unattended installation or installation through Windows Hardware Config panel only.

• 4 weeks later...

@hp38guser,

Got the latest English Drivers from Nvidia today (66.93 WHQL), and am trying to follow what you have listed.

Here are the files I need..

[sourceDisksFiles]

nv4_mini.sys = 1

nvcod.dll = 1

nvsvc32.exe = 1

nv4_disp.dll = 2

nvoglnt.dll = 3

nvcpl.dll = 4

nvmctray.dll = 4

nvcpl.hlp = 4

nvwddi.dll = 4

nvnt4cpl.dll = 4

nvwcplen.hlp = 4

Folder size is 18.1megs (full driver with Setup and everything). So I take it I'm to use makecab and cab the files listed above, and leave the two files (nv4_disp.cat and nv4_disp.inf) alone. This will work from the Winnt.sif unattended install correct?

Also, what is the exact syntax for the makecab with all the files listed above (under SourceDisksFiles)?