Textmode directory / txtsetup.oem

Br4tt3

Hi there..

I have been working with the mass storage driver fx for RIS / unattend for a while now.. and i am amazed that i cant seem to get around the fact that I need to have a single file named txtsetup.oem in the root of the textmode directory when adding supported raid cards for the text mode phase of the installation....

Supporting 1-5 raid cards will be oki, but adding a 20-30 raid cards... the text file will be huge! Any1 have some solution to this ??

How can u divide it in to subdirectories and reference many diffrent txtsetup.oem files at the same time... ??

Oki.... so I have read the deploy.chm now and it states:

As long as u run MS drivers supporting your RAID / SCSI boot devices u r all clear. When u add the entry [MassStorageDrivers] to your sif / txt answer file u better have a list of all the cards that u are gonna support with that image because RIS will only install drivers listed in this section and not merge (as i thought) the search with existing MS native supplied drivers.

So.. I guess that some1 has had this problem before. Otherwise I will have to go through the HCL and see which cards are support by win2003 and which files they correspond to in the installation... gonna be a huge list i guess.

Plz reply if u know a link or if u have already done this... otherwise cu in months! :(

Same problem here. Currently, I have 9 RAID drivers installed this way and I grew tired of it. It takes up so much time to get it to work and even now not all drivers work flawlessly.

I've been experimenting with the txtsetup.inf method, but that doesn't seem to work in this case. It only seems to work for a cd-based installation.

The best way would be to integrate the drivers somehow, but I have yet to meet the person who can accomplish this. Or I haven't searched very well, but I've been searching for de decent solution for over a long while now without any luck.

You may want to check out this method of installing those drivers:Successful NVRAID unattended slipstream Though this is for one driver, I believe it should work for all of them. Of course you can always check out this as well: How to Add OEM Plug and Play Drivers to Windows XP and HOW TO: Create an Unattended Installation of Third-Party Mass Storage Drivers in Windows Server 2003 as well as Limited OEM driver support is available with F6 during Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 setup.

HTH.

You may want to check out this method of installing those drivers:Successful NVRAID unattended slipstream  Though this is for one driver, I believe it should work for all of them.  Of course you can always check out this as well: How to Add OEM Plug and Play Drivers to Windows XP and HOW TO: Create an Unattended Installation of Third-Party Mass Storage Drivers in Windows Server 2003 as well as Limited OEM driver support is available with F6 during Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 setup.

HTH.

Those links look familiar. :)

I was going to write a whole story of what wouldn't work and bore you with my life story, but it looks like it's working or at least going to work. :)

It seems like I made some kind of mistake in my dosnet.inf file or I forgot to copy some files into the correct directory. Right now Windows is installing just fine and all seems to work smoothly.

I'm gonna look into it.

Edit:

The install on a Promise S150 TX4 went fine, but after the complete installation Windows starts looping. Trying to find the cause I installed Windows on a normal IDE harddisk, keeping the Promise card in the system. Installed everything without a glitch and looked in my device manager and noticed something weird. My Promise card was detected as a "Raid Controller" without any driver details or manufacturer details. Another weird thing is when I want to update the drivers it automatically detects and installs the correct driver which was copied during the installation process.

It's not the first time I've experienced this problem, but it is the first time using this method. Anyone knows what causes this perhaps? I'm confused here.

I used the second supported way of adding raid / scsi support to your image, TXTSETUP.INF. This way turned out to be much easier and flexible than the answer.sif file & txtsetup.oem way. The main pro was that u didnt lack the support of natively Win supported boot devices.... even though it is a mess dealing with driver files.

And by the way... MSFN had the answer again! :)

Keep truckin...

Thanks for pointing that out.

It's just that there're so many threads about these subject, one almost doesn't know where to look anymore. In my case, I overlooked something. :)

I'm just glad it's working now. It look me long enough...