Just wondering about MSFN....

leckie

What's your **** point?

Last I checked/heard, the majority of webservers are BSD/Linux powered. More cost-effective. So what's the point you're trying to make?

When Microsoft was faced with being DDoS'd, they enlisted the power of Akami. Which used Linux.

:rolleyes:

I've already told you leckie, it's linux thats supporting msfn. Apache is helping to spread the word of Bill :P It's actually kind of satisfying to know that such a linux staple like apache is being defiled by serving the best source of microsoft based software info in the known universe. :lol:

well there was an article showing that MS used linux servers as well. :) that was pretty wierd and funny. but msfn? its okay.

no one here claims that windows is the best of os's, we all are trying to make better use of windows and no one here works for MS. so i think its pretty allright to be using linux...

Of course we use linux. its the best web server OS there is.

Its not noob friendly enough for a desktop OS though (despite much improvement) and it sucks for games (availability wise), hence most people dont use it for a desktop.

Windows probably fits the desktop category much beter for most people, so most people use it, of course that and other factors such as the way its distrubuted etc but thats beyond the scope of this post.

And MacOS isnt usefull for anything, so people dont use it.

you dont use a hammer to spread plaster do you?

or a trowel to hammer in nails?

;)

And MacOS isnt usefull for anything, so people dont use it.

*cough* :|

Linux is quite n00b friendly, if you look at the Fedora project in a sick, twisted way. It's so simple, my kid sister could get a machine up and running with it and learn to like it. FFS, I used one of the most "un-n00b-friendly" distros as my first. Build Gentoo from a stage1 tarball, now that's a sign of real fun.

Games? Doom 3 port is soon, I hear (I don't play games).

Server-wise? OpenBSD > FreeBSD > Linux > *. BSD is like a vintage French wine, nice and refined; Linux is like a case of Sapporo.

tak, the MacOS thing was just a dig, of course people use it.

Doom3, Tribes, Sims and Tux racer hardly compete with the huge array of games available for Windows. its the way it is.

ive said it before and ill say it again, if Linux could run ALL windows games just as well as Windows can, or if Games companies woke up and brought out Linux versions for their games 95% of the time, then i would drop Windows in a heart beat and use Debian.

Photoshop on linux would be nice too, and no i dont want to use Gimp, powerfull and free as it is, it isnt photoshop.

Until then, nah.

<snipped for length>

I can understand your position, and I respect your opinion. I use both win32 and Linux, because there are programs that I need for compatibility with school-programs.

Photoshop on Linux? A past version of WINE+CS worked well for me. GIMP, I haven't really tried to use.

WineX supposedly works on some games.

And yeah, I know that the MacOS thing was a dig ;)

[/goes back into lurk mode]