Un-Installation/Re-Installation of XP

XxKeelaxX

Hello all. I basically have encountered alot of spy/adware on my computer and have several of the popular programs to help stop it but it isn't working so a friend told me i might need to just wipe everything out and start over. I've already saved everything on floppy/cd that i need but i cannot figure out how to un-install XP home edition or if this is even my best option. I'm pretty much an amateur when it comes to this computer stuff, so i was wondering if someone could please offer some assistance to my problem. If un-installing then re-installing is not the best option then i would love to hear any suggestions. Thank ya :D

KeeLa

Hi Keela,

I'm pretty much an amateur when it comes to this computer stuff

best for you is to install a fresh new Windows, cause you have saved all your files and a crashed windows!

In this forum you wil get every help you need! But you have to read some articles and facts, so that you and others understand the problems.

Read first the articles in unattend windows, there are some guides and howtos wich explain how you can easy build your own installation cd.

Download a trial of vmware or virtual pc for testing your cd before you burn it.

Hope that helps and have a nice day, Sie Tjin Kian :thumbup

Keela,

if you want to re-install, just boot from your Windows XP CD, format the drive and install new.

Wiping it completely and reinstalling is NOT, in my view, the best option, but fixing it will require more time and experience that

I'm pretty much an amateur when it comes to this computer stuff,

probably you do not have.

I suggest that BEFORE wiping old install you save on a floppy the file wpa.dbl and CHECK that floppy , so as to have the new install activated, read here:

http://is-it-true.org/nt/xp/atips/atips13.shtml

A basic, step by step guide to reinstall is here:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/indexwinxp.htm

Select on the left, under "Windows XP Home Old/Used Hard Drive Install"

Multipage.

jaclaz

Thank you all. I think since i am so unexperienced i will just hold off re-installing anything until i can get someone to do it for me. I'd rather be safe than sorry and really mess something up. One more Question i have is that when i start or restart windows once the desktop comes up Windows media player automatically starts and it's never done this before. I am suspecting this is yet another side effect caused from the ad/spyware on my computer. I looked under options and there was nothing checked for automatically starting the player upon start-up, as well browsed and tried to figure out a way to just un-install it since i never use it but that was yet another failed attempt. Any suggestions? :)

Keela

Thank you all.  I think since i am so unexperienced i will just hold off re-installing anything until i can get someone to do it for me.  I'd rather be safe than sorry and really mess something up.  One more Question i have is that when i start or restart windows once the desktop comes up Windows media player automatically starts and it's never done this before.  I am suspecting this is yet another side effect caused from the ad/spyware on my computer.  I looked under options and there was nothing checked for automatically starting the player upon start-up, as well browsed and tried to figure out a way to just un-install it since i never use it but that was yet another failed attempt.  Any suggestions?  :)

Keela

I'd say try running an msconfig and clearing out everything, then restart, and aside from spyware, you might want to run a virus scan.