Sort Start-Menu

Nomi

There is however a drawback, this only work's like once then system create's it again. You edit the registry permission's. Wanted to get this here before someone else say's it don't work....So

I have this saved to my drive and no idea where it came from.

When you install a new program for a user, it doesn’t find its place in the alphabetical Start menu hierarchy right away; it hangs out at the bottom for a little while. If your users employ the Classic Start menu, they can realphabetize it manually by right-clicking the taskbar and choosing Properties, clicking the Customize button next to the Classic Start Menu, and clicking the Sort button. With the Windows XP style of Start menu, however, you don’t have an equivalent button. To make Windows always alphabetize the list, remove the permissions from the Registry key that controls the sort order for the Start menu. To do so, go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\

CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder

Choose Edit | Permissions and click the Advanced button. Deselect the Inherit From Parent The Permission Entries That Apply To Child Objects check box and then click Copy when the Security dialog box pops up. Click OK and clear the Full Control entry for your account and all security groups you are a member of. Leave only Read permission.

NOTICE: You can LOCK yourself out of thing's editing permission's, you're on your own. I know what I'm doing or either I think I do.

• 9 months later...

Don't know, if this interests, but you could use the following cmd file to do sort the start menu automatically, which coveres both start menu cases:

start /wait reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu" /f

start /wait reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2" /f

start /wait taskkill /im explorer.exe /F

explorer.exe

This works be cause the HKCU part of the registry reloads every time you restart the explorer.exe.

• 4 months later...
Don't know, if this interests, but you could use the following cmd file to do sort the start menu automatically, which coveres both start menu cases:

start /wait reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu" /f

start /wait reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2" /f

start /wait taskkill /im explorer.exe /F

explorer.exe

This works be cause the HKCU part of the registry reloads every time you restart the explorer.exe.

am i understanding it good, you do this one time and the result stay for always? and do it works? can i do this too or better dont?

Here is a standalone exe [170kb] that i created just for this.

It will alphabetize the Start Menu AND the Internet Explorer Favorites.

It can be used unattendly if you wish,commandline switch: reorder.exe /S

It's as close to a permenant solution as you'll get.

Reorder Directories Alphabetically

shark

Edited by Shark007

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a standalone exe [170kb] that i created just for this.

Reorder Directories Alphabetically

shark

Thanks!! :)

it dont give a permanent solution, after setup is finished and you install more program, the startmenu isnt ordered anymore. but ok, "as close to a permanent solution"...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='Shark007' post='416253' date='Nov 6 2005, 01:39 PM']Here is a standalone exe [170kb] that i created just for this.

[url="http://shark.blackteabag.ch/"][b]Reorder Directories Alphabetically[/b][/url]

shark[/quote]
Hey Shark :hello:

You know, you should always put in a command to run wscript to initiate the scripting engine. Sometimes people don't have the Script Engine associated as the default application with .vbs files. Personally, I always change the default action to "Edit" as opposed to "Open" so if I were to run your script, it would just open in Notepad. There are also people that associate .vbs and .js to open in whatever editor they prefer to use, or some other 3rd party debugging software.

Just a suggestion and not really big deal. :thumbup