Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Bilou_Gateux

Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is a Windows component that asynchronously transfers files in the foreground or background, throttles the transfers to preserve the responsiveness of other network applications, and will automatically resume file transfers when a computer is restarted and a network connection is re-established.

BITS is used by programs (such as Windows AutoUpdate) to download files by using spare bandwidth. BITS can maintain file transfers through network disconnections and computer restarts.

BITSAdmin is a command-line tool that you can use to create download or upload jobs and monitor their progress.

Where Can I Get the BITSadmin Tool?

Download link for the version 1.0 [ 5.1.2600.0 ]

tested : works with Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Background Intelligent Transfer Service Version 1.5 (SDK Package)

The BitsAdmin tool version 1.5 [ 5.2.3790.0 ] is located in the \tools folder of the Platform SDK.

Direct download bitsadmin version 1.5 administration utility.

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows XP

BITS v2.0 is included in Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2.

The \Support\Tools\Support.cab file on the operating system installation CD contains the BITSAdmin tool. To unpack and install BITSAdmin, run the Setup.exe file in the Tools directory.

You can also download BITS v2.0 for Windows XP SP1 and Windows XP. To download BITS v2.0 Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773)

@GM

it can be used to download all hotfixes (it' a M$ tool), set proxy settings, instead of using third-party iOpus downloader but neeed some code rewrites in XPCREATE.

Thanks, Bilou_Gateux. I just switched to WGET instead of theiOpus Downloader. Though I have not yet solved the Proxy part, I believe WGET will handle this quite nicely. I prefer a Non-GUI, small application, but if WGET does not meet my needs, I will look into the BITS.

Thanks again for your thoughts and ideas!

• 3 months later...

Batch file to download all the hotfixes with BITS.

In order to download HFs, you will need both files in same directory:

2KX86lng.TXT Each line in TextFile contains a remote and local file name. The names are space-delimited. Lines that begin with a # character are treated as a comment.

CREATEQ.CMD checks first if BITSADMIN.EXE is available and then creates a new instance of DWNLD.CMD batch file.

Running this program allow you to:

Creates a new transfer job with given job name.

A new job starts in a suspended state.

Appropriate files are added to the new job with specified local destination and remote source file name in FileSetList

And starts the job with ResumeJob.

Then any actual transfers will occur.

BITS runs in the background, so the batch script only start job.

Once a job has completed transferring file(s) down to the local machine, those files are not available to the user until the job is acknowledged through a call to the Complete method.

BITSADMIN /COMPLETE job

You can use the State property to determine the current status of a job.

BITSADMIN /GETSTATE job

Regardless of the specific status, you obtain the current progress of a job through the Progress property, which returns the bytes transferred/bytes total and files transferred/files total values, enabling you to determine a percentage of work that has been done.

BITSADMIN /GETBYTESTRANSFERRED job

BITSADMIN /GETFILESTRANSFERRED job

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Use BITS for your own downloads

A Download Manager using BITS can be found here: BITS Download Manager™

Another one can be found here: WinBITS

* Following is the method to determine BITS version installed on the machine

Check the file version of %windir%\system32\qmgr.dll

If it is 6.0.x.x => BITS 1.0

6.2.x.x => BITS 1.2

6.5.x.x => BITS 1.5

6.6.x.x => BITS 2.0

* To troubleshoot problems with BITS jobs, please use bitsadmin.exe

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interrested You can find my tool for BITS download administration (including source code) here:

My projects Webpage

You will also find the wrappingBITS.msi package there, which is usefull .NET wrapper around the BITS COM interface.

Hope any of You guys will find it usefull, I have.