Help: Easy way to modify 'altered' NTOSKRNL.EXE

gengo

I have both a logonui.exe and ntoskrnl.exe that were modded for WinXP [sP0], but of course they do not work with SP2.

Does a simple way exist [other than starting over completely] exist for altering these to work with SP2?

Perhaps just copying and pasting the "Version Info" portion? Thanks in advance.

Okay, guess I don't understand what they improved about the ntoskrnl.exe and logonui.exe file.

I have tried to just copy the version info from the SP2 default ntoskrnl and overwriting the version table in the XP [sp0] already modded file and it worked. Next up, trying this with the logonui.exe file.

• 2 years later...
Can someone HELP me?

I am trying to make my Boot Screen look like the one [attachment=15897:attachment], but when Windows is booting up it is showing up as these [attachment=15898:attachment] [attachment=15899:attachment] with distorted colors. Which file I need to edit in the Windows XP Pro CD and what do I need to do to correct this problem?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
themexp.org mostly give us an installation file.
if u want to make ur own boot and login files,
first u have to make sure it works with ur version. to get into the safer side, extract the one from ur working OS and can modify them and add to ur distribution.
Another advantage is that, in case any hotfix updates the kernel, u would be using the updated kernel if u extract from the system32 dir.
copy the working ntoskrnl.exe and logonui.exe and open them in resource tuner. save the required bmp file u want to modify.

ntoskrnl.exe
--------------
open the saved bmp file in photoshop. do whatever changes like adding images, text etc and "DO NOT SAVE AS PSD FILE". simply save as bmp file without modifying the resolution or size or anything.
finally replace this modified bmp file back in the ntoskrnl.exe using resource tuner.

There is no problem with logonui as u can replace any image provide u retain the size of the picture.
This is one of the simple ways to modify the ntoskrnl and logonui. Edited by rajesh.kumar