Please help: howto add SP2 wireless access points?

Folks,

OK, I'm tearing my hair out on this one. How can I add a preferred wireless access point (with or without WEP keys, etc.) to my setup during install? Is it a registry key, or a file that I can copy in later (like rasphone.pbk is for adding dial-up or VPN connections)?

Anyone get this to work? I've got to reimage alot of laptops and adding the preferred access points in SP2 is just too time-consuming.

Oh, also, has anyone been able to change the Java Plug-In settings (via registry or whatever) to auto-enable using Sun's Java for IE and disabling auto-update checking?

I certainly appreciate it,

JP

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK I had the same problem and I have now got two sollutions for you.

For a computer that is not on a domain use the Windows Zero Config tool that can be found in the network config area of xp by double clicking on a wireless network connection. Once there use the option for Set up a wireless network for a home or small office. This brings up a wizzard that creates an auto install for u on a flash stick/drive. Once it's done this for u just copy all the files to the rollout and run it as needed. I don't think there are any switches for this tool so u will most likley have to go to each pc and click next and add or whatever. It's better than not using it. (DOES NOT WORK ON DOMAIN COMPUTERS)

For a domain computer use this link to explain how to to it... http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...64ef44f6b5.mspx

As far as I can tell you have to log in once for it to take effect and then u are done B)

I hope this helps you. If it does not just bump again.

an R key

I've been digging arround in this for a couple of months. As yet I've not found a way to apply a preferred WiFi network with keys during install. The option I'm starting to look into now is for a API (C++ or VBS) way to get at that config. I've found some vague references to some WPA APIs

The only option I've found that gets remotely close is the Wireless Network Policies in the Secruity portion of the Group policy. These assume an 802.11 implementation though so you can't specify a shared key; It's expecting a PEAP or EAP/TLS implementation that will dynamically assign a random key. It does let you set a preferred network though, just not the key. It's great if you have 802.11 setup and definitely the better way to go in corporate environs but not worth the trouble for small or home environs.