Error 1406 installing Office2003 through cmdlines

I'm encountering an odd problem when trying to have Office 2003 automatically install during the windows XP setup, I get the following error:

Error 1406. Setup cannot write the value DW0200 to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting\DW\Installed.

Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact your Information Technology department for assistance.

It's being installed from an admin installation point of Office 2003 (with SP1) with a transform file being applied. If I run it in QN mode, completely silent, it'll just back out and not install ... but in QB I get that error and have the ability to ignore it. Office works just fine afterwards once I get into windows.

The install works just fine in an identical scenario on Windows 2000, but fails with this error on XP machines. If I run the install after the xp setup has completed, it goes through without any hitch whatsoever.

Has anyone encountered this before, and possibly know a fix? Is there any command line to make the default action ignore for errors such as these, so I can just get it to go through? It doesn't seem to have any negative impact by ignoring it manually.

Thanks!

edit: I saw this microsoft kb article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321445 but it is for an older version (XP) and impacts the install in windows, not during the unattended portion, and apparently was fixed with following versions of Office.

• 2 weeks later...

gotta bump this, I can't seem to get it to work.

I followed the instructions on MSFN to a tee to create my admin installation point. I applied SP1 to it but no other patches. I tried recreating the admin install point as well with no success.

The folder is included in my $oem$ directory, and is copied over during the textmode setup, to be run during the gui setup. cmdlines executed commands.cmd which launches the MSI with the following commands:

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Office 2003 Professional w/SP1
Office2003SP1\setuppro.exe TRANSFORMS=ProModified.MST /qb
EXIT

The transform is identical in every way to the one applied to the 2K image, except it does not include shutdown.exe (which I use for other purposes) which I include in the 2K mst. I've tried the 2K MST just for kicks but it still doesn't work.

I either need a way to remedy this error or a command line I can utilize to automatically ignore it and proceed with the installation. If I use QN, it backs out and uninstalls itself. With QB we have to manually check the machine and click ignore on the one error, and then everything is fine.

Help!

honestly, i would not install this in cmdlines.txt...try using runonceex.

I'm using cmdlines.txt in my Win2K setup out of necessity ... I need this to be 100% unattended so I have IE6SP1 install through that, and if the final configuration doesn't complete (upon login) before the windows updates come down through SUS, it generates problems.

That being said, I'd like to keep my XP and 2K installs similar to make it easier for people picking this up after me.

Besides, what's wrong with cmdlines? Besides my obvious problem, are there issues with installing software through that?

ok, but do realize that setup hasnt fully finished when cmdlines.txt is run...and from the error, I would say that you need to login with admin rights, which, even tho I thought it was set before cmdlines, may not be after all.

EDIT: runonceex ran fine for me in w2k.

ok, but do realize that setup hasnt fully finished when cmdlines.txt is run...and from the error, I would say that you need to login with admin rights, which, even tho I thought it was set before cmdlines, may not be after all.

EDIT: runonceex ran fine for me in w2k.

I do see what you're getting at, but if that were the case, it wouldn't work in my Windows 2000 image ... but it does.

• 4 months later...

My experience shows that you cannot install Office 2003 at that point in Windows XP or Windows 2003. I've not tried it in Windows 2000. The error you see is not the real error, rather Doctor Watson attemping to log the error.

To test, you could stop the installation at that point (perhaps a command script with a pause in it from CMDLINES.TXT), and try to manually install Office 2003. (Shift-F10 will pop up a DOS box, and you can run Office 2003 setup - d:\setup.exe perhaps - and see any errors.)