winfs news a must read

leckie

"Of course, the real question is why does Microsoft seem to focus on promoting Longhorn rather than products that are available now. Perhaps Microsoft hopes that if it focuses on next-generation technologies we might forget about its rivals of today."
i totally agree.

"Of course, the real question is why does Microsoft seem to focus on promoting Longhorn rather than products that are available now. Perhaps Microsoft hopes that if it focuses on next-generation technologies we might forget about its rivals of today."
i totally agree.

I don't because 'XP Reloaded' is all about promoting XP and how it's become a lot better since it was first released. Sure they're still promoting Longhorn a whole lot (arguably more) but they also have plans to promote XP too.

@CrimsonKain a simple example: when xp was in an early beta stage as longhorn it's today did you hear the same comments about it that now with longhorn?

how many press newsletters have released m$ about longhorn and how many were released about xp?, how many information it's on the net about longhorn?, how many longhorn betas have been leaked?

i'm sure 1/4 than with xp

@CrimsonKain a simple example: when xp was in an early beta stage as longhorn it's today did you hear the same comments about it that now with longhorn?

how many press newsletters have released m$ about longhorn and how many were released about xp?, how many information it's on the net about longhorn?, how many longhorn betas have been leaked?

i'm sure 1/4 than with xp

That example isn't really appropriate for the situation. The quote was talking about NOW products vs FUTURE products. You were comparing two FUTURE products.

Also a lot of the other things you mentioned are a function of the times. It's sort of like saying how much hype was Mario 1 was getting before it came out. It wasn't getting a whole lot because that kind of thing wasn't as big for video games as it is now.

Plus you're forgetting about 'real' people. Do you think my parents know what Longhorn is? Do you think the average person on the street knows what it is? Did they know what Whistler was either? Nope but that's just the way it is. Do my parents know about SP2? You bet they do because that information is all over the place where non-techie people actually read.

As for leakage it's not any different than it was in earlier days. These Longhorn alphas are released to people who attend the conferences. It just happens that today it's a LOT easier to share those things (P2P networks, BT, etc. are all a lot more popular).

What it really comes down to is that information is transferred more easily and to more people now than it ever has been.