xp networking problem

renzki

btw theres this one thing bugging me, on the Network Connections the LAN card has a small gold-colored lock icon with it. ive never seen it before.

It sounds like that connection has Windows XP's built-in firewall enabled. Disable it, then test again.

- Ravashaak

Yup, that would do it.

Disable the Windows XP crap firewall, and tell the security advisor to shut up and manage your own firewall.

Get Zonelabs ZoneAlarm Pro, it allows local networks while disallowing internet traffic without permissions :D

I believe that "lock" you're talking about is the "limited or no connectivity" icon. Are you certain everything's connected properly, settings checked, etc? Especially pay attention to the IP address (that's probably what it is)

And is your PSU supplying above 450 watts?

im having a feeling that its the cables. what's the maximum length for a UTP cable before it starts dropping off data? i mean is communication still reliable with more than 100m+ wire length? im changing the rj-45 connectors tommorrow jsut to be sure theyve been crimped tightly.

Well, there's still hope. I'm sort of amazed at some of the posts though...

-Your IPs and subnet are ok.

-You did say there is NO firewall running (even the default XP SP2 one) but it never hurts to double check on that one

I don't see a reason why you'd need a overkill power supply for a NIC, nor 7 different protocols (you only need TCP/IP to ping another box - and if you already have proper IP/subnet - then that means it's already installed)...

What's left?

-Your cables: check the plugs, see if their straight trough or x-over's, I don't know if your switch does auto MDI/MDI-X, they could also be bad (open/shorted pairs). 100 meters is the limit by what the spec says, but it's not like communication stops altogether when you're at 100.01 meters... It should still work, perhaps with some packet loss or such, unless it's extremely long. (Are you sure they're that long? That's quite the patch cable you got there!)

-Speed mismatch or similar connectitivity issue. Lots of NIC/switch combo's don't auto-negociate properly... even the expensive stuff - I see it all the time. You can set your NICs to 100/full to make sure (it never hurts).

-The switch. Everything can fail - even if it has no moving parts...

Hopefully you find the culprit, good luck!

renzki...you did read through everyone's post here didn;t you? Your problem is most likely that the firewall is enabled. Any network connection that has a gold lock on it symbolizes that firewall for that connection is enabled in winXP.

QUOTE (ravashaak @ Sep 10 2004, 05:30 AM)
btw theres this one thing bugging me, on the Network Connections the LAN card has a small gold-colored lock icon with it. ive never seen it before.

It sounds like that connection has Windows XP's built-in firewall enabled. Disable it, then test again.

- Ravashaak

Redoing cables isn't a bad idea, however, even if you try to redo them, you should test each one and verify that you can either transfer files or browse the internet. Just something to prove that the cable is good. The more known-good items that you are using, the less that you have to guess which part is causing problems.

Otherwise if you recable the ends of the cable and make a mistake on one of them, you may end up having more problems than you started with.

If you get desperate, take the switch and all cables over to a friend's house and plug them up to theirbroadband connection and test each cable and finally your switch too. Just don;t replace the router with the switch ;p

Paul

I know there are a great many differing views as to the problem's source. However, I'll repeat myself: A gold-colored lock symbol appearing on your network connection icon is an indicator that the built-in Windows XP firewall is enabled. This is almost certainly the cause of the problem. This should be resolved (by disabling the firewall) before further and more elaborate troubleshooting. Trust me on this one.

- Ravashaak

im still at darkness here. i brought the computers to my friend's place and plugged them all to his network (plugged my switch to his'). guess what? THEY CAN SEE EACH OTHER. THEY CAN SHARE FILES. so i decided to redo the crimping stuff at my place. the result: there are signals on the switch but still no communication on the computers. maybe ill just sue the store who provided the cable :realmad:

and by the way. to make sure i did the right wiring sequence for th rj-45 connectors, whats the color sequence? a friend of mine told me that theoretically it doesnt matter for as long as the order of color pairings are the same at both ends of the utp. is this true? i mean i think its true. :D

I had mentionned 3 things (cables, speed prob or switch) and you cleared 2 of them. There's only your cables left...

As for the ends, no we don't just do anything. There's 2 types of cables (straight through and x-over) and one has 2 variants. Have a look at this http://www.startech.com/articles/showarticle.cfm?id=25 it shows you how to do it properly.

I know there are a great many differing views as to the problem's source.  However, I'll repeat myself:  A gold-colored lock symbol appearing on your network connection icon is an indicator that the built-in Windows XP firewall is enabled.  This is almost certainly the cause of the problem.  This should be resolved (by disabling the firewall) before further and more elaborate troubleshooting.  Trust me on this one.

- Ravashaak

Ravashaak,

I'm agree with u :D

renzki, why didn't u try this? --after you have repaired your cable, follow Ravashaak's post to pick the key to the little golden lock B)

Cheers

- Ravashaak

Like this I can't use firewall.

what a pity !