Select Software To Install GUI interface

Hello,

I found this pic from this post

here is the original thread

Guys lets get this thing rolling. I am sure it would so very useful for a great no. of people

I have tried contacting the author but no luck.

correction the author is IceManRD

I have a basic knowledge of programming. But i would appreciate it if more highly

technical people can assist in figure out how he did this application tool.

according to him it is a msi file, and he used wise installer to create it.

Thank you :yes:

SW_Select.jpg

Edited by Astalavista

(Sorry if I'm bumping an old topic)

A lot of OEM's use those for Application Recovery CD's

I remember our old HP did that

I suppose, you could use Flash and the fscommand to run the installers if you didn't know how to code a basic program.....

(I'm taking a C++ course in school right now... I might learn something ;) )

I can do Visual Basic 6 programming.

I'm pretty sure the runtimes are included in Windows XP. (no ocx's needed. would be done by api if any special features are wanted) The program I would make would have an interface just like that, or better. The programs there could be stored in an .ini file and read when started. It could also time out to the defaults after a certain amount of time. Let me know if anyone wants a program like this and I could create it. Without thinking much, ;) , here is what I guess the .ini file would look like:

------------------

[Personal]

Title=RayOK's Programs

Timeout=300 (seconds)

ProgramFolder=C:\install

[Program1]

Name=Adobe Reader 6.0.1

String=Adobe\AR601.msi /qn

[Program2]

Name=Java 1.4.2_04

String=JAVA\Java142_04.exe /s /v /qn ADDLOCAL=ALL IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0

[Program3]

---------------------

Anyway.. It could work something like that. Let me know if this would be received well by the community (to warrant making it) and if there are any features that would help.

:unsure:

RayOK - is this plan to create an auto-loading software selection menu for installation after winxp installs? Is it planned to be similar to WPI? What differences/advantages would your program have over WPI?

And while I'm at it, could you include some of the features I like about WPI - tooltips, default selections.

Thanks!

[edit]

Just in case you don't know, WPI:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=11491&st=0

While I'm not questioning the usefulness of this program, I do wonder what exactly its purpose would be in an unattended environment. The best use I could see for something like this would be for driver installation. Imagine having this program pop up and you check the boxes for the hardware on the system and the appropriate installer launches. It would be really nice given that many drivers don't like to be installed straight from an INF.

WPI seems just like the above program except with an XP look. All it takes to do the XP look in VB6 is a background picture. (.bmp, .jpg, .gif) There could be one built into the program as default and if there is a certain named one in the same folder as the program, it could use that one. Same thing with the buttons.

As for default selections, that would be as a setting in the .ini. Something like:

[Program1]

Name=Mozilla Firefox 0.9.3

String=Firefox\InstallFirefox.exe

Deafult=Yes

The basic Windows tooltips are also easily possible with VB6.

I'm not sure about when it would be able to run but I guess after XP is done installing and logged onto whatever account. (so the VB6 runtime would be there).

For now, the only hard part, would be how everything installs after the final button is clicked. I could have the program launch each one and fill in some kind of progress bar but Im not sure if it would wait for the previous one. Would have to research that if I make this program.

Thats just the thing.. Why make this program when others do the same thing? Is there anything out there now that doesn't or won't have what I would make? Maybe someone could list out the other post-install programs easily available and justify why I should make what might be called "XPost Installer". :} Maybe someone has a better idea for the name too? ;)

As for waiting for other programs to finish before the next continues, I browsed through some API functions and now know I can definitely do that. Maybe even have an option to kill a screen at the end of install. (API is basically using the existing Windows .dll files to make things happen, like executing commands and killing processes. You can browse through them here if you're wondering about what they can do),