Anyone got netsh working?

n00dles

I've been playing around with PE for the last week or so, and basically have everything I want working (thatnks to CuBie's excellent Explorer tutorial), except netsh.

My startnet.cmd has the following entries (in this order, but there is some other stuff after 'netcfg -v -winpe' and before the list of regsvr's)

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\netcfgx.dll /S

factory -minint

netcfg -v -winpe

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\netshell.dll /S

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\dgnet.dll /S

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\hnetmon.dll /S

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\ifmon.dll /S

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\ipmontr.dll /S

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\ippromon.dll /S

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\ipv6mon.dll /S

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\rasmontr.dll /S

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\rasman.dll /S

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\rasmans.dll /S

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\rasrad.dll /S

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\rassapi.dll /S

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\rasctrs.dll /S

Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\framedyn.dll /S

From what I have read, the problem is that the network connection is not named by PE - it has a GUID, but not a name. I've read a few articles on MSDN saying that it is possible to rename a connection if using something other than Explorer as the shell by using the following command:

rundll32 netshell.dll HrRenameConnection

However that doesn't seem to anything. Anyway, i figure if I can get netsh working I should be able to assign static IP's on the fly instead of having to specify a static IP in winbom.ini. The reason I want to do this is because all the servers I work with are on non-DHCP subnets, and I'm trying to build a recovery CD using PE.

As someone else has already said, yes I could just BartPE, but I'd rather try to figure out how to do it with PE only.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Check out PE Network Configurator v2.20 at http://www.geocities.com/pierremounir/.  I have used this in our server room, it has the abilities to setup profiles or set the IP on the fly, and it works in Win PE.

Mike

I've looked at it and it looks real nice but....

We're going to be using Windows PE to deploy Windows XP to an entire enterprise -- so we're trying to stick with using 100% MS or in-house developed tools. There's some enterprise rules here regarding Shareware / Freeware that just make using it not worth it.. But I'm keeping it in my back pocket. :)