Windows Millenium problem

N1K

My frend brought me a WinMe computer which has the next problem:

When you try to boot it stops at window millenium startup options where you can choose:

1.safe mode (ain't working)

2.stepbystep

3.normal

Nothing works, error says that some windows files are corrupt, and that registry is corrupted (somethin' like that)

I connected disk to my other computer to make backup..

How can I use scanreg to reload registry settings that worked..

I remember I used that a long time ago and now I can't remember...

Please help :(

You need to use the F8 key to boot the PC, like you would to nomally chose Safe Mode but choose to boot into DOS mode and try the command there. Be sure there is a space between SCANREG and /RESTORE

If that doesnt help you could install Windows Me over top of itself which will fix missing or corrupted files but does nothing to any virues that may be there.

If they have stuff they want to save i would do the reinstall overtop, without formating of course, save the data then format it clean and start a fresh install.

Be sure to go to Windows update and grab the system restore update or disable that garbage as it usually never works and just eats up resources and space. Plus it will backup virues and lock them causing antivirus software to complain that the files cant be deleted.

You need to use the F8 key to boot the PC, like you would to nomally chose Safe Mode but choose to boot into DOS mode and try the command there. Be sure there is a space between SCANREG and /RESTORE

If that doesnt help you could install Windows Me over top of itself which will fix missing or corrupted files but does nothing to any virues that may be there.

If they have stuff they want to save i would do the reinstall overtop, without formating of course, save the data then format it clean and start a fresh install.

Be sure to go to Windows update and grab the system restore update or disable that garbage as it usually never works and just eats up resources and space. Plus it will backup virues and lock them causing antivirus software to complain that the files cant be deleted.

That was the answer I was looking for :thumbup

Some time ago, in the times of windows millenium I had the similiar problem which was fixed with scanreg /restore command...

And now I was so dumb and couldn't remember that I have to use command prompt with F8, so I've booted the system using winme startup disk and try to run this command from the floppy.. :blushing:

After backing up all the data which was done by connecting hard disk to another computer, reinstallation was next...

I've reinstalled windows and forgot to install support for central european languages, so all documents which had croatian signs couldn't be opened... :whistle: total disaster :}

Everything's fine now but I just wanted to give you all a summary..