Cure: Bored of endless KBs in your Add-Remove soft

Hello everyone,

If you are like me, want to see everything clean after a clean installation of Windows XP and you want to hide all those installed KBs, Tools & Apps from Add/Remove Application then you are lucky.

I tried many methods to get rid of this endless list, till the day a read about SystemComponet on an MSFN Topic then I decided to create two small tools that either show or hide the content of Add/Remove apps.

These two tools run silently without showing any message, they require a high privilege user to work, but if they were run on limited user they will abort leaving your registry intact.

They work without any problem in Windows XP SP1 & SP2 and they do not require any switch.

To download these tools click Here

well, the good news is that the "HideInstalledComponents.exe" is working fine ...

BUT, the "ShowInstalledComponents.exe" is NOT! :(

now my Add/Remove Programs just showed 1 program installed, i cannot revert back to the previous settings/views :realmad:

be careful when u're using this ...

@CrimsonKain: Actually, they are not hidden by default. They are placed under the "Windows XP - Software Updates" heading...

SoftwareUpdates.gif

You need to hide them using the SystemComponent value in the registry, which is what Stuntgp2000's program does.

:P

Edit: @cybpsych: If you want to show any items on add/remove programs again, just run "regedit" and search for "SystemComponent".

You should find them under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall".

Just delete the SystemComponent value and the item will be displayed again.

Sorry my friends,

As always I feel that I am the most stupid MSFN Member.

ShowInstalledComponents does not work, the problem is that I uploaded the wrong version.

I am now at work, so I can upload the correct version, after 3 hours I will upload the working one.

Your regstry is safe, for those who can't recover their Add-remove list due to my carelessness I ask them to forgive me. and I will post the correct version.

Thank you RaveRod for your workaround.

:blushing:

@CrimsonKain: Actually, they are not hidden by default. They are placed under the "Windows XP - Software Updates" heading...

Right but look at the top there's a show updates checkbox. By default it's unchecked and thus that heading does not appear by default. I'm looking at the install on my VPC and it's unchecked. I'm positive I haven't gone in that machine and unchecked it.

Stuntgp2000,

your latest version is working fine now :)

don't feel so guilty 'bout this, your tweak files are not critical .. just hide/show components in Add/Remove ;)

luckily it can be undo, correctly now ...

p/s: i used it earlier because the subject stated 'Cure: Bored of endless KBs in your Add-Remove soft', which i think is misleading ... LOL ... your tweak actaully hide ALL of the entries, not just those KBs ... maybe u might want to change the title ... hehehe ...

anyways .... thanks for the tweaks!!! ;)

Right but look at the top there's a show updates checkbox. By default it's unchecked and thus that heading does not appear by default. I'm looking at the install on my VPC and it's unchecked. I'm positive I haven't gone in that machine and unchecked it.

You are right. I forgot I added the registry tweak to automatically check that box.