Boot PE from USB Flash Drive

FloDiggs

I am working on getting PE to boot from a Seagate 5 gig USB Pocket Hard Drive for work.

I also have my own 256 mg PNY Attache flash drive to use in testing. I have used the solution from muevelonyc on both devices. The smaller one is formated as FAT 16 and the 5 giger as NTFS. Both partitions were marked active with the "HP tool"

The target PCs are all Dells mostly GX 260 , 270 and 280. I am aware of the limitations of the various Bios USB boot issues and have therefor opted to target only the GX 280 as the test PC.

Both USB drives boot and load PE as they should, however, after the "XP" splash screen ticks away at the progress bar for a while.... I am getting the BSOD with an error code of the typical header "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Blah Blah Blah...

Technical Information:

*** Stop: 0x0000007B (0xf8997640,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Any insight or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :thumbup

I am working on getting PE to boot from a Seagate 5 gig USB Pocket Hard Drive for work.

I also have my own 256 mg PNY Attache flash drive to use in testing.  I have used the solution from muevelonyc on both devices.  The smaller one is formated as FAT 16 and the 5 giger as NTFS.  Both partitions were marked active with the "HP tool" 

The target PCs are all Dells  mostly GX 260 , 270 and 280.  I am aware of the limitations of the various Bios USB boot issues and have therefor opted to target only the GX 280 as the test PC.

Both USB drives boot and load PE as they should,  however, after the "XP" splash screen ticks away at the progress bar for a while....  I am getting the BSOD with an error code of the typical header "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  Blah Blah Blah...

Technical Information:

*** Stop: 0x0000007B (0xf8997640,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Any insight or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :thumbup

Well dell gx260's do not even have the ability to boot from USB there is no option in the bios for it and being that the gx 260 only has usb 1.0 booting from it would be horrably slow anyway.

The stop error is because the operatingsystem dies on reinitializing the usb. Microsoft its self is actually making a fix for this, it is part of the windows 2003 sp1 release canidate. Bart (bartsPE) has created a script that can boot PE totaly to ramdisk and that allows you to have PE boot from USB. for more information on this see this post.

http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7632

• 2 weeks later...

I've been experimenting with attempting to boot WinPE from my USB flashdrive on a Dell Optiplex 280. The attempt always fails when it's done loading. I beleive this to be somewhat ofa driver issue. The strange part is that I can't seem to find the SATA drivers for the Optiplex 280. It's as if they've completely integrated it with the standard IDE plane. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

FYI - I did run into 2 keys that won't boot at all.

One of them is the new Sandisk Cruzer Mcro (2 Gb, USB2), yeah you can imagine how bummed I was! And a really old Sony Magic Gate (USB1, 128mb). Both failed to boot as well as be able to have the little checkbox option to copy dos system files to it.

One of them is the new Sandisk Cruzer Mcro (2 Gb, USB2), yeah you can imagine how bummed I was! And a really old Sony Magic Gate (USB1, 128mb). Both failed to boot as well as be able to have the little checkbox option to copy dos system files to it.

The new one is quite strange, the old one is very possible.

Did you try with some alternate tools, like makebootfat or manually like I hint in my tutorial?

Also, did you try partitioning the key ?

Is it possible that the problem is related to the known 2Gb FAT16 limit.

Jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

The new one is quite strange, the old one is very possible.

Did you try with some alternate tools, like makebootfat or manually like I hint in my tutorial?

Also, did you try partitioning the key ?

Is it possible that the problem is related to the known 2Gb FAT16 limit.

Jaclaz

yeah tried everything... including partitioning as NTFS (which PE seems to love running in). I have a feeling there might be on board i/o extentions on the actual keys that might be the key to making these puppies bootable. The memorex 2gb key that I bought 2 months prior works absolutely fine though. It's tiny in size, but not as tiny as the Cruiser Micro (which is why I like it)