Sysprep - "Reseal" causes problem

winxprules

As a hobby (should be a profession), I build computers for people when they ask it of me. I keep on hand usually 3 to 4 WinXP Pro OEM CD's (usually buy them in a 5-pack from my distributor). I pre-load various software applications (like Adobe Acrobat Reader, various chat programs, and others as well) by creating a single CD with everything I need on it and do an unattended installation.

After installation is complete, I just change the CD-KEY to the appropriate one before delivery to the buyer. I've just begun trying out the Sysprep tool and using the "Resealing" option, adding the new CD-KEY to the OOBEINFO.INI file and let the "Out of Box Experience" run when they get it.

I think that would be very neat, but I can't use this method just yet until I figure out a fix to a problem I'm having.

After I run the SYSPREP -RESEAL option, and reboot and go to test the startup, something happens after the first logon. My RunOnceEx commands (entered by CMDLINES.TXT and the RUNONCEEX.CMD file during setup) executes AGAIN when I type in my name and logon for the first time. The dialog shows up, but gives an error on every single one because the file doesn't exist ('cause my Cleanup command deleted the \INSTALL folder already because the applications are already on).

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Yes, I've noticed this as well. It doesn't cause any real problems for me, but I wonder what the end-user thinks when they see all that happening :)

I'm toying with a reg key that's implented on syspre shutdown that deletes whatever key it is that's causing this to happen. Still working on it, though. When/if I find anything I'll let you know.

That one's actually useful, is what I thought all along...

Anyway, if you don't want it, the solution is to eject the CD from the drive, when the system is booting up for the first time. After the OOBE is completed, you can put back the installer CD into the drive with no problem. Or if you installed from hard-disk, just rename the folder that contains the I386 flat.

The cause of your problem is: (explained sequentially)

1. You know that Windows has the "InstallSourcePath" listed in the registry.

2. So, if the CD that winxp was installed from is still in the drive, cmdlines.txt is executed.

3. That's because at the first boot (after SysPrep), your installed windows is running at somewhat like the T-12 phase when cmdlines.txt is executed.

4. After that, registry setup is finalised, detected hardware is initialized, and OOBE is run.

5. Thereafter, you know what OOBE runs (the username/organization can be entered, the key too, regional/network settings, registration, activation, users creation) - you can control which of these is shown to the end-user, and which ones are pre-configured by you, using the oobeinfo.ini method.

Hoping this helps....

• 2 weeks later...
the solution is to eject the CD from the drive

But the intention is to build an unnatended cd, and this is not the way i want it to be (it's not professional enough for me). Does anyone know if this problem still exists when we use the 'RunOnceEX' section? (listed here)

Greetings. :thumbup

• 1 month later...
Yes, I've noticed this as well.  It doesn't cause any real problems for me, but I wonder what the end-user thinks when they see all that happening :)

I'm toying with a reg key that's implented on syspre shutdown that deletes whatever key it is that's causing this to happen.  Still working on it, though.  When/if I find anything I'll let you know.

Does anyone know what key this is? Because there is always the possibility to change the key before sysprep -reseal is executed.. Perhaps that is a possibility??

Anyone knows??

Check out my post in this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=29908

There's an attached exe that lets you run the Out of Box Experience, entering cd-key and naming computer and so on, maybe it something like that you're looking for?

It's not my most favorite solution. I'm working on a batch-file that does the trick.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my solution. I use 2 files, install.cmd and cleanup.cmd

They are in Dutch.. :D

Here they are:

@ECHO OFF
REM Voorkomen dat alles bij de OOBE nogmaals wordt uitgevoerd

if not exist c:\drivers goto end
ECHO.
echo Stap 1/6
echo.
ECHO Acrobat Reader 6.0 Nederlands wordt geïnstalleerd...
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\acrobat\AdbeRdr60_nld_full.exe -p"-s /v\"/qn\""
ECHO.
echo Stap 2/6
echo.
ECHO DirectX 9 wordt geïnstalleerd...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\directx\dxsetup.exe /silent
echo.
Echo Stap 3/6
echo.
ECHO Microsoft Java Virual Machine wordt geïnstalleerd...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\JavaVM\MSJavaVM_3810.exe
echo.
ECHO Stap 4/6
echo.
ECHO MSN Messenger 6.2 wordt geïnstalleerd...
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\MSN\MsnMsgs.msi /QB
echo.
echo Stap 5/6
echo.
echo Windows Media Player 10 wordt geïnstalleerd...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\wmp\MP10Setup.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore"
echo.
echo Stap 6/6
echo.
ECHO Het register wordt nu aangepast...
REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\tweak\compas.reg
echo.
ECHO Enkele lelijke 'Wallpapers' worden verwijderd...
DEL "%systemroot%\Groensteen.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Blauw 16.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Kopje koffie.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Patroon.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Prairie.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Stekkie.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Rhododendron.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Rivier Sumida.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Santa Fe Stucco.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Zeepbellen.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Zapotec.bmp"
@ECHO off
ECHO Bezig met onnodige snelkoppelingen te verwijderen/verplaatsen...
DEL "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Menu Start\Programmatoegang en -instellingen.lnk"
DEL "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Bureaublad\Adobe Reader 6.0.lnk"
ECHO.
ECHO Bezig met onnodige/overbodige mappen te verwijderen...
RMDIR /S /Q "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temp\"
MKDIR "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temp\"
ECHO.
echo Tijd om even op te ruimen...
ECHO.
call "%systemdrive%\install\cleanup.cmd"
:end

And here's the cleanup.cmd

@echo off
RMDIR /S /Q "%systemdrive%\drivers"
RMDIR /S /Q "%systemdrive%\install\acrobat"
RMDIR /S /Q "%systemdrive%\install\directx"
RMDIR /S /Q "%systemdrive%\install\javavm"
RMDIR /S /Q "%systemdrive%\install\msn"
RMDIR /S /Q "%systemdrive%\install\tweak"
RMDIR /S /Q "%systemdrive%\install\wmp"
echo RMDIR /S /Q "%systemdrive%\install">"%systemdrive%\install\install.cmd"
echo.
ECHO De computer wordt nu gereed gemaakt voor de eindgebruiker...
start /wait %systemdrive%\sysprep\sysprep -reseal -quiet -reboot
RMDIR /S /Q "%systemdrive%\install\cleanup.cmd"

I hope this is helpful for someone !!