How To: WMP 10 Silent Install and Reg Tweaks

Hi there, first of all, great post! :)

I was referred to this thread by madTaMsKi.

I hope the following will work for RunOnceEx?

REG ADD %KEY%\065 /VE /D "Windows Media Player 10" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\065 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\EXTRA\WMP10\mp10setup.exe" /Q:A /R:N /C:"setup_wm.exe /DisallowSystemRestore /Q:A /R:N"

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

McoreD

RR What an absolute fantastic guide one thing here you never stop learning thanks for a very interesting guide indeed.

Thanks, props for the ideal should go to the person who posted the directX9c silent guide using IExpress. Its simple, clean and doesnt require any 3rd party apps installed, like Winrar, although i wouldnt know any reason why it shouldnt be installed.

@Randy Rhoads

Great guide! Just wondering why you have chosen iepress over say winrar? Winrar can do this also and gives a little better compression - infact it is close to a 1mb smaller and whilst this is not a great deal, over a number of applications it can really make a difference to your unattended install footprint.

Just my 2 cents worth - well done! :thumbup

Great guide! Just wondering why you have chosen iepress over say winrar? Winrar can do this also and gives a little better compression - infact it is close to a 1mb smaller and whilst this is not a great deal, over a number of applications it can really make a difference to your unattended install footprint.

I was going to, but some people may not have it installed and its just a extra thing to do if you didnt.

I'm still a little confused after reading several threads on WMP10 -- can it be done through svcpack.inf like WMP9? Or does it need to be in a batch file like my other programs?

And an unrelated question -- does WMP10 finally have mp3 ripping support, or does that still require third party codecs?

And an unrelated question -- does WMP10 finally have mp3 ripping support, or does that still require third party codecs?

Clicky clicky for more info.

I could rip with 320kb mp3 with WMP10 if I wanted to, atleast it says so.

I have not yet ripped with it so I dont know whats the codec used

(I do like LAME tho...)

Have to run a test rippin for some cd after I get my next unattended test run

in the VMware so I have a "clean" table, no other codecs innit.

btw, thanks for the guide of this install-hassle Randy Rhoads, very cool indeed.

B)

I went to look on the dotnetSP1 thread but it really wasnt as n00b-friendly as this,

I guess the old-timers sometimes expect n00s to "know" all the switches /

etiquette / finesse etc... yeah, its hard to be a n00b...

:D

Well, WMP10 seems to install nicely in my batch file:

start /wait \\server\winxp$\apps\WMP10\MP10Setup.exe /Q:A /R:N /C:"setup_wm.exe /DisallowSystemRestore /Q:A /R:N"

This was done with WMP9 removed from svcpack.inf. Does that really matter? Or should I let WMP go from 8 to 9 with svcpack.inf, then put 10 on at the end?

And another question -- this is a SP1 installation -- are there any hotfixes that are not needed anymore?

Lolly -- thanks for the link. :thumbup I'm so glad they finally incorporated mp3 into WMP.

I have no idea what that button is, i have it too...honestly it looks like going from full mode to regular, or regular to compact...if you dont show the titlebar, its a gray button - doesnt even look like it belongs with wmp and double clicking it maximizes/restores the window...and to answer youre other post...it should be fine to go from wmp8 to wmp10

• 3 weeks later...