Adding McAfee CleanBoot to bootable CD

ramian

Hi,

I"ve been trying to add McAfee CleanBoot to my bootable CD, but I get the following error:

IOS.SYS not found !
BOOT error!

Yes, I have extracted the whole ISO to the same folder as the loader.bin.

CleanBoot can be gotten from here:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1084049122/1

I'm using CDShell and the following command to load cleanboot:

chain /images/cleanboot/loader.bin

The contents of my /images/cleanboot/ folder are as follows:

boot.catalog

cblicenc.dat

clean.daz

clnboot.exe

ios.sys

license.txt

loader.bin

loader.exe

messages.dat

names.daz

options.dat

os_shell.sys

readme.txt

scan.da1

scan.da2

signlic.txt

Does anyone know what's wrong? I can't think of any other way of getting it to boot.

Thanks!

if you put all those files in the root of your cd/dvd and load it from cdshell with chain /loader.bin it will work.

But your root dir will look like a mess. If you want it placed in a folder you will have to hex edit your loader.bin file to have it point to the folder containing those files.

But what to hex edit your file to i do not know.

I was going to add cleanboot to my WinPE disc a while back, but it became such an issue getting it working that I put it on the back burner for the moment. I used isolinux to chainload loader.bin and had all the files on the root of the cd. The problem I had was that if I had a file or folder on the root of the cd that began with an "A" cleanboot would say it couldn't find its license file. Weird I know, so I renamed the three folders that began with an "A" and got rid of my autorun.inf file and then it would load and work. That said, after I added the I386 folder to the disc, it would get to the loading... screen and just sit there. :blink:

Cheers

hmmm...

so that means, unless i have all the files in the root of the CD, I'm not gonna be able to get it to load huh? Is there any way to use the 3-floppy boot disk option and get that to work?

I tried getting all the all 3 floppies into 1 image file. I loaded it up with memdisk and the boot sector boots successfully, but it gets stuck trying to find the 2nd diskette.

Does anyone know if there is a workaround for this or the ISO-extracted files method to get cleanboot working? Is it possible to extract the boot image like what is done for Acronis apps or the way it's done for ERDC, etc?

thanks!

I spent a few hours and finally slayed the beast that is cleanboot. Here's what I found out while I was trying to get it to work.

1. All files must be on the root of the CD.

2. You can have no file or folder starting with "A" on the root of the CD.

3. You can't have more than 16 folders on the root of the CD.

I found that any deviation from the above resulted the program not working right. If the files weren't on the root of the cd, it couldn't find the sys files. If you had a file or folder starting with "A", it would say it couldn't find its license file. If you had more than 16 folders, it would sit at the "Loading..." screen forever. This method works for isolinux and I would guess cdshell too.

The floppys won't work because its looking for the disk label on the second floppy.

Cheers

U can boot directly from DiskImages...

Why dont u make a 5Mb Diskimage, where u put all the 3 McAffee Disks and boot from that Img ?

diskemu <filename> [noboot][segment] 

The diskemu command is used to emulate floppy disk images using diskemu. The default operation is to emulate the floppy disk and boot from it.

If the noboot keyword is used, the emulated disk will not be booted. After issuing such a command, diskemu can be invoked a second time to allow emulation of two different floppy disks at once. Diskemu will always use the last disk image it was given as floppy disk A.

The optional segment parameter specifies the install segment of the diskemu emulator program.

Diskemu is an alternative to memdisk. The main differences are as follows:

memdisk caches the entire disk image in memory, and thus responds faster to disk I/O operations. Diskemu reads the disk image from the CD/DVD as the contents are requested, which requires more time.

memdisk also allows writing to the disk image exactly as if it was a real floppy disk (although the whatever is written will be lost when the machine is rebooted). Diskemu emulated floppies are read-only.

memdisk has the capability of booting hard disk images, while diskemu is limited to floppy disk images.

Diskemu does not require the emulated floppy disk to be booted.

Diskemu is able to emulate two floppy disks at once.

Although memdisk has clear advantages, there are some situations where it may not cooperate with certain programs. If you're having trouble getting your disk image to work with memdisk, try using diskemu and see if that helps.

I used isolinux/mkisofs so if you're using cdimage, I'd still give it a shot (Putting the files on the root of the cd and trying from there). The restrictions i noticed may be specific to the way mkisofs builds the iso. Let me know if it works if you decide try it.

Cheers