ThemeXP.org WARNING! (READ!)

plastik

I just figured i would tell everyone that you may want to revert from visiting themexp.org very often... My first visit and 1 of few themes i downloaded from there contained a lot of adware/spyware that i REALLY didnt want. to top it off this is a fresh windows install from about 3 hours ago that i get to do again tomorrow.

THANK YOU THEMEXP.ORG!!!!!! :realmad:

Well.....when you first click on a file....it trys to give you a .exe...just close it..and click on it two more times...then you will get a .zip file...at least thats how I do the Desktops.....don't be so fast to judge....and be more investigative..... :rolleyes:

ThemeXP.org hasn't been bad at all - lots of visual styles, wall paps, and others that I got from there - and no problem at all. And I dare say that I know to detect spyware/adware when I see one, and have tools that do it as well.

BTW, the first post here looks a lot like another post elsewhere a few weeks ago.....

Somebody seems to be going around canvassing REJECTION for themexp.org.

The last theme I downloaded from there was packaged with some stuff I certainly didn't want. I know enough to extract only what I need but not everyone does. They do at least tell you if a theme is bundled with 'extras'.

same for me, althought old themes are not packaged ;)

Themexp.org has been known for including spyware/adware in their .exe packaged files. They also are hooked up with Claria advertising (most will know them as GATOR/GAIN). Either way, I don't even go there anymore and will never.

Fortunately Firefox blocks every ad they have and there is no such thing as ActiveX so I don't hvae to worry about it. To me, that's beside the point as I'm not interested in places like that.

thanks newdles.

when i created this thread was the first time i visited themexp.org i download say about 5-6 visual styles from the site, all but 1 being zip files. I didnt think anything of it (prolly should have) after double clicking, it asked to install theme... this was fine. then i was blessed with windows for toolbars and other crap. Then i go to my add/remove programs to see "themexp.org something or other" along with like 3-4 ad applications.

As a first time visitor of themexp.org i think this is pathetic. i download stuff for linux all the time and NEVER have to deal with this kind of s***. i go to download a simple little theme to make my desktop a little more enjoyable and i GET A SPECIAL LITTLE f***ING GIFT ALONG WITH IT. It's stuff like this that makes windows more enjoyable then linux, going to a pretty "windows users community site" and being blessed with the opportunity to use wonderful spyware with the other 100,000 people out there.

PS: Im not trying to start a "linux > windows" war here. im trying to state the linux community is a little more 'friendly'

(INSERT my 10 page rant here)

C:\> type C:\XP\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

127.0.0.1 themexp.org

• 5 months later...

Sonu27, do you realise that you are replying to and bumping up a 5 month old topic without anything significant to be added?

Please desist from doing that again, its called spam. If I see anyone doing that, I might need to disable their posting ability for upto a week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Well.....when you first click on a file....it trys to give you a .exe...just close it..and click on it two more times...then you will get a .zip file...at least thats how I do the Desktops.....don't be so fast to judge....and be more investigative..... :rolleyes:

I do the exact samething.

Shoot!! I did get an exe file. It contained New.net and Gator. :realmad: