1. 1. have u upgraded 2 XP sp2

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I dont use XP at all.
    • I hate XP.
    • I dislike Windows.
    • I use Linux.

@prathapml

I ordered a CD last Thursday. I haven't received it yet. Have you?

Nah! I haven't yet got it either.

But then, I got it downloaded VERY LONG AGO (well, my sense of days passing is skewed :lol: - I downloaded it only a month ago). So I'm okay with waiting.

hah....

I was waiting impatiently for the release of XP's SP2, so there!

same here....and that little bit of "help" from a certain website certainly have helped :whistle:

@prathapml's post directly above: this is getting to be too much of a coincindence...then again...... :whistle:

OPEN FILE - SECURITY WARNING

I'm thinking of removing XP all-together (forget SP1) and going back to Windows 2000 just to get rid of that incredibly annoying security warning that pops up EVERY TIME I OPEN A FILE I DOWNLOADED FROM THE INTERNET.

I've read several potential fixes but unfortunately my laptop came with XP home edition . . . which is apparently for people who don't know how to avoid viruses on the net.

Does anyone know how to turn off this "security warning"?

The warning is a security feature - its better to annoy users with a sod warning than let them lose all their data and/or network-bandwidth to a virus/worm.

Both XP home and pro (of SP2) will have that warning. You can find a registry tweak to disable that warning in the "Registry Tweaks...." thread (search!).

Yours should be coming along soon.  ;)

Dakota SunRunner

:thumbup

Got it last Thursday!

Now, I know the story.

I recieved SP1a CD 4 days after ordering date. That's because MS sent it by a service like DHL.

SP2 was sent by snail mail.

• 1 month later...

I did install SP2 when it first came out, and it just gave one problem after another. Specifically with wireless connection, it would constantly tell me every 5 minutes that I didn't have a wireless network in range. If I turn of my wireless card (with the physical button on my laptop), then I know that I'm not going to have any connection, and I don't want it! Then, on my desktop, my at home wireless connection would simply cut out everynow and then, for no apparent reason, and completely randomly.

I have the SP2 cd that I ordered, and I downloaded the network install to create a slipstreamed SP2 cd. When I tried installing the slipstreamed XP, all went well, but then about half of my programs wouldn't install. I was really cheesed. I went and looked at the NX settings but that didn't help. Oh... and my boot time on my desktop (P4 1.8GHz, 1 gig DDR RAM) wouldn't come down below 1:25 after I installed SP2. Now, after a format and reinstall of everything I need, it's down to ~30 secs from BIOS to desktop.

So I'm staying at SP1a until Microsoft releases a reworked SP2 (like SP2a maybe :P). I've got my computer locked down with NOD32 and Spyware Blaster and an updated HOSTS file. SP2 wouldn't do anything more for me than have some new boot screen and fancy Wireless icon in my system tray (all for another few hundred megs of disk space).

Long story short, I'll wait for SP2a until I upgrade.

SP2 has a lot of changes, it's good, I wouldn't want to go back to sp1a.

I have yet to see (or hear about) a program "not install" or any kind of such issues because of SP2. Perhaps you can give us some program names? Boot time has not changed significantly on any of the PCs I installed it on (and that's a LOT of them).

One program in particular that I could get to work was an FTP program that I was using at the time. Another one was a music editing/creating program called Buzz Tracker (discontinued now).

I've simply found that after an install of SP2, your computer reverts to the dumbed-down, new user state that it was when you first got it. When I've spent 4 hours getting all my programs installed and the way I want them, I don't want to have to spend another 1-1.5 hours to get all the new "security features" to the way I want them.

Btw, how new are the computers that you installed SP2 on?

Hmm, a ftp program - name unknown, and a single unheard of, discontinued audio app is all it takes you to turn your back to SP2? ... I use hundreds of app, and I have yet to see one glitch in any way because of SP2... The only issues I've seen people tell me about SP2 were non founded. Some things wouldn't run because of the old crappy M$ java VM (missing since SP1a, but some ppl were still running SP1 or SP-nothing), spyware related issues and such. SP2 works great.

As for reverting to downbed-down, I have not noticed that. But that might depend on your user settings too. The only real annoyance to turn off immediately is the security center, then you'd swear just about nothing has changed (with my settings at least). The thing is too, I hardly "apply" SP2 to already installed PCs, I install XP with a slipstreamed SP2, works a lot better.

As for spending 4 hours installing, that's why we use anuattended setups for ;) I put my DVD in, wait an hour or 2 and I got a fully installed, fully customized and tweaked, ready-to-go PC (while I'm doing something else). As for the new security features (like, disable the security center service), I can't even see it possibly take over 15 minutes to "tweak". (and btw, not only you can have the security center disabled by default, you can completely get rid of it on your install disc)

As for the PCs I installed it on, I'd say just about anything between 450MHz and 4GHz... Tons of them.

How many of those computers that you've installed it on used wireless connections? That was another pain in the butt for me. I would sit on the bus back from my classes and with my wireless card turned off, SP2 would tell me every 5 minutes that there was no wireless access. I know this!!! I even tried to adjust every setting about not telling me the status of the connection, but no avail.

As for the discontinued audio app, it's a really powerful program from the creator of FruityLoops, only it's a lot better than FL.

Oh, and one more thing... WindowBlinds has a few annoying bugs in SP2 with some skins. For example, the skin that I'm using right now (Cyrix, from WinCustomize) wouldn't show the Common Tasks bar properly, and it wouldn't roll up the windows. One of the reasons why I bought WB was for the rollup and MinToTray options.

On the topic of unnattended installs, making a disc like that takes first off, having a DVD-burner (which I don't), and quite a bit of time to make sure that all the drivers and programs get integrated right. For my laptop, I played around with an unnattended XP cd for about 2 days, but I still wasn't able to get my video drivers (ATI Radeon drivers from Compaq, Catalyst drivers don't work on my laptop) or my chipset drivers to install properly. And to add to that, I needed to use my desktop to do the compilation for burning, since the first 3 or so tries didn't even install at all!

What are all the great changes made by SP2? I've only found the wireless changes (which can be applied separately), the new "security" features, a new boot screen (which makes no distinction between Pro and Home, kinda wierd IMO), and a bunch of services that I'm still never going to use, but that are set to automatic by default. Oh... and a pop-up blocker for IE, but since I never use IE except for Windows Update...

I'll stick with my slipstreamed SP1a and let MS sort out all the bugs with SP2 before I make the switch.

• 6 months later...