Files missing during installation

park82

UPDATE on my problem :blushing:

After further investigation, I discovered that a single file in driver.cab was faulty, that was the culprit, I guess my CD is a return to store for a swap.

I could get all the files that was missing, but the file that was faulty was not one of them, so I had to unpack the whole driver.cab to find it :realmad:

Anyway, sry. if I made to much noice.

there's obviously multiple problems here...

@asflyboy

when memtest finds problems, that doesn't necessarily mean your memory is bad. the timings or voltage could be wrong (i always have to up the voltage in my case or i get errors as well). if you poke around on the web, you'll find the proper settings for your particular memory. just wanted to mention that before you go and buy new modules :)

@every one else...

as for nLite not copying files from NON-OEM installations, others have evidentially found that their CD/DVD drives may be the problem in some cases. the drives could possibly be getting to hot during the read, or were burned at too slow of a speed. suggestions:

1) update the drives firmware. the codeguys is a great resource for hacked firmware that can fix problems with the manufacturers firmware and enable 'hidden' features for the drive. of course it could potentially create problems as well, though i've had good success with their firmware (in one instance i successfully turned my single layer DVD burner into a double layer burner) . you can always turn to your vendor for firmware as well.

2) this is not the 'final word', but i read a very good article about burning speeds. it states to ALWAYS burn at the MAXIMUM speed supported by your burner/firmware/media and goes on to explain exactly why. one reason is heat - if you run a fast burner at a slow burn speed, you'll heat up the disk which can lead to problems, including data corruption. if i remember right, this is because the laser is more powerful in fast burners, so it doesn't have to sit in one place as long to burn correctly.

3) if setup won't copy files, just stop where you're at and try just letting the drive cool down for several minutes, then click 'retry'. if they copy then, you know the drive got too hot during the read.

4) if you went and bought a bundle of no-name CD's, well, you often get exactly what you pay for. they may work fine for MP3's, but may fail miserably when copying important data. you'll notice that on good media, it says right on the package that it is 'CERTIFIED' to burn at 'x' speed. cheap media doesn't have that certification. who certifies it, i don't know.

5) if you bought a no-name burner... need i say more. the same may hold true if you have an OEM burner that was supplied in an OEM machine.

as for nLite not working properly with OEM installation sources, i can only guess, but my guess would be that OEM installations are often (if not always) modified to suite the desires of the manufacturer. i could see where nLite may have serious problems in this case, though nuhi would be the one to query on this.

as for suspicions of nLite not working on OEM machines in some instances (when using a NON-OEM installation), i wouldn't doubt that at all, though it's probably not the fault of nLite. again, OEM machines often use customized installations of windows. for instance, my box at work is an HP Pavilion (100% piece of JUNK). after i got sick of XP home, i decided to load XP Pro on it. that was the end of the on-board sound chip - i could not get a driver to install to get the sound working and eventually used an extra sound card i had lying around.

Edited by atomizer

A final note.

I got my Faulty XPproRetail swapped to a new, and now I have tested Nlite, and every things works as a treat, thanks again for a truly GREAT tool, now I have a MyPrivateFlavourXP fully updated and tweeked, with size reduce by approx 200MB, witch leaves room for Avast/ZoneAlarm/HWDrivers/Codecs/and a bunch of other things, all this on one CD that runs unattended :thumbup

I can't get my arms down :w00t: , NICE work on the Nlite :thumbup

Edited by DudeFromDK

• 4 months later...

After having similar problems I started to play around with my driver.cab and noticed, after doing an archive test in winrar that my driver.cab was corrupt. I thought this was suspicious so I checked my driver.cab on my CD and the backup one that is coped over to the windows folder on my C drive during install. Both were corrupt. I believe that nlite was not able to read the entire archive as it should Thus causing missing files in the new compressed driver.cab created by nlite. I got another XP pro CD and copied the driver.cab, same file size as the other corrupt one, over and everything worked fine after that. I tested my new driver.cab and this one passed the archive test in winrar. Hope this will help some of you.

• 1 month later...
whenever I try to install a customized WinXpSP2 on my notebook, I receive multiple error messages. The error messages state that Setup couldn`t copy a file.

Here is a list of some files setup can not find:

cdaudio.sys

cinemst2.sys

cyycoins.chm

czcoins.chm

digiras.chm

dvdplay.exe

kodak_dc.icm

srgb.icm

streamci.dll

tosdvd.sys

tsbvcap.sys

tsbyuv.dll

usbcamd.sys

usbcamd2.sys

vdmindvd.sys

wowfax.dll

wowfaxui.dll

fsvga.sys

etc....

I recently ran into this problem myself. The list provided in the first post of this thread matched mine completely. Just for the heck of it, I decided to re-create the iso using the exact same profile as before - The only difference was that I disabled the "Recompress cab files" option.... I burned another CD with this iso and it installed just fine!

At this point, I am tempted to say that the problem was simply a cd burning issue... However, if this was the case, why would the list of missing files be identical to others in this forum? I'm still suspecting a bug in nLite recompress cab option, but I have enabled it in the past without this problem. I guess the jury is still open...

I hope this helps someone.

• 1 year later...
i had the problem like the others, but i have some new information and a new question.

how come during installation of nLite customed CD (winxp sp2) on my hp presario 732 i get errors of missing files (not exactly like others) like:
cdaudio.sys
cinemst2.sys
cpqdap01.sys
[b]driver.cab[/b]
dvdplay.exe
crusoe.sys
dmutil.dll

*i should say that when installing from an original XP CD - it worked fine!

and when i install this same customed CD on a [b]virtual machine[/b] i get no errors at all?
can you explain this?
i mean no memory / no hdd / no cd problems - that leaves us with what??????

i can't even guess why!!

using nlite 1.4 beta I was able to integrate all hotfixes and ie7 into these files:

06/01/2005 12:55 PM 573,765,632 en-home-oem-sp2.iso
05/23/2006 03:24 PM 606,691,328 en-home-rtl-sp2.iso
05/23/2006 03:20 PM 654,419,968 en-pro-oem-sp2.iso
05/23/2006 03:22 PM 656,840,704 en-pro-rtl-sp2.iso
07/03/2007 01:47 PM 609,835,008 en-pro-vlk-sp2.iso

Everything was successful, with no errors. Here are the results:

07/03/2007 08:02 PM 609,331,200 en-home-oem-070307 drivers.iso
07/03/2007 07:58 PM 590,092,288 en-home-oem-070307.iso
07/03/2007 08:51 PM 638,763,008 en-home-rtl-070307 drivers.iso
07/03/2007 08:47 PM 624,070,656 en-home-rtl-070307.iso
07/03/2007 07:04 PM 691,038,208 en-pro-oem-070307 drivers.iso
07/03/2007 07:00 PM 671,772,672 en-pro-oem-070307.iso
07/03/2007 07:41 PM 693,458,944 en-pro-rtl-070307 drivers.iso
07/03/2007 07:23 PM 674,193,408 en-pro-rtl-070307.iso
07/03/2007 05:43 PM 730,003,456 en-pro-vlk-070307 drivers.iso
07/03/2007 03:59 PM 624,150,528 en-pro-vlk-070307.iso

I had a lot of trouble until I got better images. Thanks a lot nuhi. Next step is to tackle x64 xp, then vista!

dhtjdd, maybe on real machine it detected some hardware which files are in the driver.cab.
But it's weird not to have that cab on the CD, never heard about that one.

habys, so I can ignore the IE7 integration problem you had in the other topic? Please post there if it's solved.