Files missing during installation

park82

How can the cab be corrupted if the files exist on my Pre SP1 XP Professional CD?

EVERY time i start from scratch, download the latest nlite, then the SP2 network install from microsoft.

I copy the files off the CD to C:\XPCD then i slipstream SP2. At this point if I make an .iso image using nlite i get _no missing files_ but if I actually use nlite's features and try to remove say the language pack or integrate RyanVM or anything, it'll rip out those files listed earlier. I just can't see how that's a problem on my end.

I love nlite, but right now i'm forced to manually just pull the .dll's and .sys files that XP requests out of my pre-sp1 driver.cab and then drop them in C:\windows\driver cache\i386 so XP doesn't freak about missing files when i do driver installations.

-Joe

Do me a favor...integrate without nlite, then extract driver.cab to some folder

and sp2.cab to some other...check if you have those files missing in any of those folders.

Use expand.exe

If you confirm that these files are there then we can talk further.

But I'm telling you many people tested it before you and they confirmed that even without nlite it's messed up.

I wish it's nlite and that i can fix it...believe me.

I see what your trying to tell me.

I did as you asked, used expand.exe and yes, the files were missing.

I used expand like this "expand DRIVER.CAB -F:* C:\DRIVER" and it errors out during expanding.

I'm really confused why if I have a corrput driver.cab, then how come all my installations w/o nLite went fine? from pre-sp1, to sp1 slipsreamed, to sp2 slipstreamed? Do i have to contact MS to let them know my copy of XP is bad to get a replacement?

-Joe

I've also had problems. I saw nLite described in the latest Custom PC mag, and as I'm in the process of reinstalling my work PC, I thought it sounded useful.

Optimistically, I decided to:

- start with my MS original "Gold" XP SP1a disk, (OEM variety)

- slipstream SP2

- add a pair of new disk drivers

- integrate a bunch of hotfixes (about 12) relating to IE and Core XP

- disable a couple of programs: windows messenger, novell networks

- do a few tweaks to the registry and general setup.

Things seemed ok, other than not at first realizing that the iso file had merely been created, not written to disk!

However, the first time I tried installing, I left the PC to it for a while, and when I came back there was a message asking for the SP2 Disk for the file "asms". Ther's a directory asms there in the SP2 extract directory, but at that point I had no way of making it available and setup refused to carry on without it. :(

Following this, I found that the new setup disk would boot as far as disk formatting, etc, but although the new hard drive partition "booted", it didn't start properly - it fails very quickly with a long message about invalid paths and directory contents.

I checked the original driver.cab and the driver.cab that nLite generated, and the generated one has about 4444 files in it, while the original has 4657 files. The missing files seemed fairly basic: stuff like IP connections, atapi drivers etc.

Might it help to do the slipstream "manually"?

Ruth

P.S. My runs of expand.exe both went without a hitch; no bad files, no issues.

@erukian, do you have gold edition, i mean without any service packs...then just apply sp2, don't apply sp1 first.

If you have tried that already then I think that problem lies in that that expand skips all after error while windows during install expand file by file and by that you can get all files around the error.

Thats why some user had idea that i expand file by file which is possible and I may add it into beta 2...if you're interested in testing in 2 days, when i'll be done, send me PM.

@rivimey, uh, if your iso was too small, below 90mb then something was wrong, it would help if you try to make it again, use latest version and delete nlite before second try, reinstall it.

Did you removed any drivers...maybe your cab was corrupted too but lets not think that, your asms error is different. That shouldn't happen, ever...maybe sata/raid integration went bad...which driver is it...

The iso image was about 620MB -- seemed reasonable. I forgot to say earlier that I enabled the "recompress cabs" option.

I didn't remove any drivers, just added two for raid disks (which seemed to work, in that setup could see the raid arrays, and can't otherwise)

I did try again, this time doing only a xp sp1a => xp sp2 translation. This produced a 625MB iso. Sadly I can't persuade setup to load properly from that because it hasn't got the raid drivers, and won't see the USB floppy (Arrrgh!) It seems fairly happy up to that point though (can't find hard disks).

Pretty sure the driver cab wasn't corrupt, either in the original or in the created version. Haven't checked the others.

Dont understand about deleting nlite: why will that help any?

Must do some work now :-(

Ruth

GOT IT TO WORK

I found this forum by searching for some of my missing files. I'm just a novice user who was trying to do a fresh install of XP and got errors about missing files. I don't know anything about nLite, so this may/may not apply.

When I first tried to install, it was on an NTFS single-partition hard drive (12GB). That's when I got the errors.

I then reformatted the HD as FAT32 and the installation ran without a hitch.

I hope this helps someone.

• 2 weeks later...

win xp home/pro OEM would not install and I received multiple error messages like the rest of you. :realmad:

Checked the system. RAM memtest - no fault. Another CD, another HDD, still the same. :blink:

The memtest of RAM showed no problems but I changed the RAM block anyway, and now - no problems. Afterwards I installed WIN home on one partition and WIN PRO on another partition (XOSL) - both OEM.

So if you can borrow some RAM try it out. :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...

I also found this forum by searching for info on missing files during Win XP Pro install. I am using the Win XP Pro w/SPK2 OEM CD from the Microsoft Action Pack. The first problem I have when installing on a reformatted drive is the "missing tosdvd.sys" warning. Searching for the missing file in the .CAB files on the disk reveals no file of that name on the disk.

I am not using nlight. It sounds like a great product but what I really need is a solution to the problem above.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I finally figured out the problem. A bad memory module. Downloaded and ran "Memtest" from http://www.memtest.org and there were lots of errors. No problems now. I had never seen something like this before. On several of the reformat/reinstalls of Win XP Pro/Spk 2 I did get the install to work. Once installed though other software would report errors from the disk during install just like the Windows install would. Live and learn I guess.

• 4 months later...