Loading 3. party SATA Drivers with F6

Bootie

Hi there

Im in the process of testing the driver with the F6 key before slipstreaming them into our windows xp installation but Im having a problem.

When I get to the point of actually loading the 3. party drivers I insert my floppy containing the driver and it lets me choose two different drivers. The Intel 82801ER SATA RAID Controller and the Intel 82801ER SATA AHCI Controller. If I choose one I get a bluescreen so I figure that I dont have that device. Choosing the other will first load the iastor.sys into memory I guess then it starts to check the disc and then it starts creating a list of files to be copied. This is where my problem accurres.. Then when it tries to copy iastor.sys from the location where it recently read it it cant. Setup cannot copy the file: iaStor.sys

I find this odd. The file IS there it has just used it but now suddenly it cant copy it.

What the devil is going on and have somebody else had this problem?

Oh and the PC that Im working on is the DELL Precision 370 Workstation.

i have the same problem with my Silicon Image 3112 raid. I can load it using F6 from a floppy and it will detect my drive or raid. But, when it comes time to actually copy the files, it says it can't find it.

I have tried using different versions of the drivers, but i still can't find one that works. I am also trying the integrated cd method, but that doesn't seem to work either. Maybe it's something wrong with the driver itself?

Yeah. Might be a driver problem. I would just think that DELL would test them before putting them for download on their page.

Im also going for putting them into the installation BUT one of the textmode guides here on the site said that it was a good idear to test the driver with the F6 methode before putting too much work into it.

Darn thing

WOW

So I tried to put the drivers in even though I had no success manually loading them and they worked just fine.

Added the lines i txtsetup.oem and added these lines to unattended.txt

[MassStorageDrivers]

Intel® 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller=OEM

IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller=RETAIL

[OEMBootFiles]

TXTSETUP.OEM

iastor.cat

iastor.inf

iastor.sys

What a perfect job. Stupid driver/MS installation process :)

I have seen this problem for a long time on several peoples machine with Silicon Images drivers.. (I personally use a Promise based card :D , drivers are so sweet) anyway.. yes, they integrate fine, but if you use f6 to load the drivers while still using a unnatended setup, they dont work. It will loose track of a file somehow.

I have seen this problem for a long time on several peoples machine with Silicon Images drivers.. (I personally use a Promise based card  :D , drivers are so sweet) anyway.. yes, they integrate fine, but if you use f6 to load the drivers while still using a unnatended setup, they dont work. It will loose track of a file somehow.

Well, the first time I was installing Windows on a 3112r controller (about 1 year ago, so older drivers) it just worked fine when using F6. (no unattended yet :P)

But ever since I haven't installed it on the 3112r controller anymore... I guess I'll have to try again...

Id actually like to comment on my previous statement that it now works perfectly... it doesnt.

Seconds after the setup is started and it shows the PRESS F6 TO INSTALL 3. PARTY DRIVERS it comes with a error.

Something about an error in some OEMDISK.C file in line 2160 something.

Why oh but why did my company have to invest in those stupid machines with the Intel® 82801FR controllers making my life a living HELL... god I hate it. Oh well if I push any key it will skip what ever it was doing and finish the installation and everything works fine afterwards.

¤¤#%""#¤%#¤&/##"!#¤!"¤&&/" I tell ya.

yup, everytime I used a unattended file (winnt.sif) and tried to add the driver by useing f6 and a floppy (vs. integrating them in cd) it would give the error described. It only seems to be with the SI drivers. Hightpoint, Promise, you name it all work fine doing this, but not SI's.

i have the same problem with my Silicon Image 3112 raid. I can load it using F6 from a floppy and it will detect my drive or raid. But, when it comes time to actually copy the files, it says it can't find it.

I have tried using different versions of the drivers, but i still can't find one that works. I am also trying the integrated cd method, but that doesn't seem to work either. Maybe it's something wrong with the driver itself?

I have the same problem. I think that the driver works, because installation of WinXP (with SP1) is perfect. But slipstreamed version with integrated SP2 can't copy driver files from floppy to harddisk.

my hardware:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe with Sil 3112A, 2 disks in raid0

I think that's something wrong with nLite or SP2. But I'm not expert in these things ;)

I have the same problem. I think that the driver works, because installation of WinXP (with SP1) is perfect. But slipstreamed version with integrated SP2 can't copy driver files from floppy to harddisk.

my hardware:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe with Sil 3112A, 2 disks in raid0

I think that's something wrong with nLite or SP2. But I'm not expert in these things ;)

This problem is solved with the coming of the new release of DriverPack MassStorage ;)

You can expect it very, very soon (95% sure today)

Sorta fixed Bâshrat the Sneaky.. It is avoiding the problem. Problem exist when loading driver with f6 and using a unnatended install... I have seen it even in sp1. True, a long time ago some of the very first Silicon Image drivers worked. THen, they stoped, only would work with F6/Floppy loading if you were not using a unnatended install.

The strange thing is, it is not unique to Silicon Image drivers... But, it is not a problem will all manuafacturers either..

BTW, Bâshrat the Sneaky, thanks for continuing the work on the RAID driver pack.. :thumbup Saves me a bunch of time (i still prefer to have them on cd vs floppy), and I like having support for so many controllers.

Running into the same problem with a Dell 8400. It uses the Intel 82801FR SATA Controller and I have the necessary files on Floppy. The first time around when pressing F6, it does read the floppy and lets me choose between AHCI or RAID. Then when it's ready to copy files to the drive it says it can't copy iastor.sys or any of the files that it had seen before on the floppy. I even tried making a custom build of XP with these files in the appropriate places and entires in winnt.sif and TXTSETUP. But still no go!!

I guess the answer is to stick with an established technology (IDE) and forget this SATA / RAID crap which just creates more problems/ incompatibilities!

I guess the answer is to stick with an established technology (IDE) and forget this SATA / RAID crap which just creates more problems/ incompatibilities!...

Dont say that.. never say that.. Raid, atleast level 0 is so wicked fast... Maybe the Sneaky one will make an addition to his raid driver pack..

Another solution, assuming you are using it now, it to not use a unnatended file.. then F6 should let you get it running.

Raid, atleast level 0 is so wicked fast...

Like.....in what way??? What makes you believe that Raid 0 is fast?

As far as I know Raid 0 gives a marginal improvement over a single drive or in some cases even decreased performance. Granted Raid 0 may blow away single drive setups in benchmark apps, try the same in desktop applications and games. You will eat your words.

This coming from a guy who has been using Raid 0 setup for the last 3 years...and now a convert!