How To: 95 and 98 Setup Answer File

Now, does anyone know how to skip the password prompt after Windows has installed? You know, the one that says to enter a password but if you leave the password field blank it won't ask again? It is kind of annoying to have that right in the middle of an unattended install...

Do a file search for: *.pwl and delete any that shows up. Go to the Control Panel and doublclick Network and set "Primary Windows Logon" to Windows Logon. Reboot the PC and it will show up once more. Leave all passwords blank and push "OK" and it shouldnt show up again.

On the skipping of product key screen, last I saw Microsoft put in that limitation on purpose. So it's not a broken CD.

I personally think people are starting to make nLite look like the end all solution. Nothing beats doing it by hand.

As for more advanced Windows 98 stuff, there is ALOT of information on it and usage and such on the microsoft website. As well as slipstreaming drivers....

@prathapml

There are times where PCs are setup at customers' places using their own CDs. Who cares about their CD source, especially, everyone has the right to make a backup CD?

And I believe you're right about that difference between OEM and retail CDs.

@Bachus

Thank you very much for sharing this. I'd be pleased if you say whether you tried it yourself.

This is a disappointing thread, guys. Is this retail against oem owners?

I have spent about $10,000 in the past 5 years on computer hardware to entitle me to oem cd's. And alotta this thread seems to be about oem's cannot hold a candle to a retail cd? :}

To my knowledge, you can buy a burner and a OEM CD legally for the price that it would cost to buy a retail off the shelf. Why buy the retail, if that is the case?

Until proof is given as to why a retail cd is better then an oem. I'll keep on buying oem's.

I have made my batch.inf, and will see if my (perfectly legal) OEM 98SE CD will do a full unattended. The help guide says it will. I noticed one of the tabs said that I need to check every box on that tab, else unattended mode would not work. Well, they are not all ticked by default. Lucky, some would overlook this very easy, as the warning font is dim to notice.

I will post my results.

Please keep unproven taunts to a minimum, ok.

Well, got my results.

Had to press enter twice, to start process. Then enter twice, halfway through. Not hard work. Suppose that you would call it a provide defaults unattended. Allows a support personal to use their own copy for ease, and change username halfway through install.

Has someone got a retail copy, to prove whether it does the same or different?

:whistle:

Has someone got a retail copy, to prove whether it does the same or different?

Actually, my own copy (98se retail) does not stop for confirming cd-key or whatever.

All what I do is run a batch file to call smartdrv.exe and setup.exe, then go to bed. :P