How To: 95 and 98 Setup Answer File

What you do is create a file named msbatch.inf and place it in the WIN98 folder, or WIN95 folder for Windows 95 and reburn the CD.

The program that creates these are already on your CD's. Its a program called Batch.exe.

The batch.exe for 95 will only run in 95, but the one for 98 runs ok on my XP.

On the 95 cd its located on the CD at:

admin\nettools\bsetup\

On 98 its located at:

\tools\reskit\batch\

Just install and run the program and you can specify cd key,IE homepage, what apps to install, etc then when all the options are set the way you like it outputs them to a msbatch.inf file.

I was able to bypass the cd key in 95 by adding this under the setup section of the msbatch file:

[setup]

ProductType=1

It was posted as a refernce for future requests and search results. Ive read through 10 threads here that only one person gave a simple answer of using a msbatch file but explained nothing about how to create it and most were just filled with replys like this one.

I still use 98, im sure more people use 98, or would like to add a 98 of this fashion in a All in 1 DVD or simular situtation. If you dont use 98, then there was no need to reply or even read the thread was there?

Getting by the cd key was a bad choice of words. All it does is just skips that section kind of like "270" works with the 2000 cd. I didnt hack the cd to make this a available option, Microsoft coded the setup to allow these switchs for admins i would assume or it wouldnt work so complain to them. I dont mean to come off as an @ss just that it rubs me the wrong way to get replys like this when im trying to provide some help and after reading 300 older threads of simular replys when i was trying to find that info.

@Randy Rhoads

Same method works for Windows Me, too.

However, I had a problem with that method. When I used msbatch.inf, everything went well, except that Windows diplayed the screens of CD-Key, user name and organization name.

They were written for me, but I had to hit "Next". That happened with some but not all copies of Windows I installed.

Do you have suggestions?

Thanks.

They were written for me, but I had to hit "Next". That happened with some but not all copies of Windows I installed.

Same here with 98 buts its better than having to dig out the cd key and type it in every time. Unless theres an extra master switch one can add that works simular to the auto-reboot switch does in XP i wouldnt know how it can be done or why it does that with some and not with others. Maybe its a differnce in retail and OEM cd's?

I don't know why I feel like there are other properties' names that might work in place of these ones:

ProductKey=
Name=
Org=
Display=

Or, there are other properties that must be added?

This is why I was interested in your topic.

Thanks.

Only need to add info that you want. Your name and stuff, can be added during install. I have a ME disk that does that. Saves me typing the key when I install it.

Feels like torture typing serial keys.

:)

Maybe its a differnce in retail and OEM cd's?
That's exactly what it is.

I've said so before - some CDs are able to go ahead silently and some stop at those screens (but with the info filled-in).

A retail CD is able to go through the entire way silently - the OEM CDs and upgrade CD (which are what circulate among most people) stop at the user info and product-key screen.

Most people who have "borrowed" a win95/98/ME CD from a friend or vendor or have bought a CD at very under-cost-of-license - these are the copies which are OEM/retail. You don't find nearly as many copies of retail CDs in circulation.

So that's the round-about and diplomatic reply to mazin's post above. ;)

A guy called in on Tech TV once with that question and they told him it wasnt illegal to let a friend borrow a 98 cd to install Windows , it was just illegal to make him a copy. I dont know how true that is, but if i paid for the cd i'll do with as i wish.

I dont know if the same applies with XP, but with activation it wouldnt matter anyhow.

This is posted somewhere else in this forum, but I figure I'll be nice and repost the info. Add

[OPKInstall]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion","ProductId",,12345-OEM-1234567-12345
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion","ProductKey",,"CDKey"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion","RegisteredOwner",,blah
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion","RegisteredOrganization",,none

to your msbatch.inf and add OPKInstall to the Addreg entry under [install] to get Setup to skip the license, product key, etc in OEM copies of Win98 (probably for ME, too). It'll look something like this:

[Install]
AddReg=OPKInstall,...

Now, does anyone know how to skip the password prompt after Windows has installed? You know, the one that says to enter a password but if you leave the password field blank it won't ask again? It is kind of annoying to have that right in the middle of an unattended install...