Capturing the Registry

Is there a way of knowing what modifications we are doing to the registry?

For example, when I deactivate the QuickTime icon in the tray, what is the value that changed in the registry?

I'm asking this because I want to tweak my Unattended Setup and I suppose the best way of doing it is by importing registry modification during the final phase of installation...

RegShot v1.61e5

RegShot is a small registry compare utility that allows you to quickly take a snapshot of your registry and then compare it with a second one - done after doing system changes or installing a new software product.

The changes report can be produced in text or HTML format and contains a list of all modifications that have taken place between snapshot1 and snapshot2. In addition, you can also specify folders (with sub folders) to be scanned for changes as well.

download

modified version of RegShot 1.7.2 by Paraglider

download

Thank you guys! :)

I've tried regmon and I found the key I wanted to change for QuickTime:

;Disable the QuickTime icon in the taskbar

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apple Computer, Inc.\QuickTime\ActiveX]

"QTTaskRunFlags"=dword:00000002

The next thing I wanted was to disable the ATi icon as well. I think I've found the value but since I am not an expert in registry setting, I don't know how to change a value that is REG_SZ...

i've tried this:

;Disable the ATi icon in the taskbar

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\Desktop]

"EnableIcon"=sz:0

but it is not working... I'll need some registry lesson!

anyone familiar with REG_SZ?

Also I'll give a try to the other registry monitoring applications you all suggested since it was quite a long process to find those keys with regmon

thanks SiMoNsAyS,

it was to simple to think about that! :lol:

I have two more question:

1- If I want to import theses Registry Setting during the Unattended setup and apply them to ALL users (not the one logged in) how should I do?

There is this method on msfn

[COMMANDS]
"REGEDIT /S regtweaks.reg"

but my cmdlines.txt already contains:

[COMMANDS]
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

Can we mix both?

2- Also, what will happen if I set these tweaks before I install my applications (ie: disable the QuickTime Icon before it is actually installed via RunOnceEx.cmd on the first logon) :blink:

2- Also, what will happen if I set these tweaks before I install my applications (ie: disable the QuickTime Icon before it is actually installed via RunOnceEx.cmd on the first logon)  :blink:

Those tweaks you should import after the software has been installed or the software installation will most likely overwrite them.

@HULK maybe you would like to know the way to disable the warning messages on catalyst control panel and disable the ati hotkey annoying thing

;disable ati tray icon and warning messages
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\Desktop]
"EnableIcon"="0"
"DeActivateAllWarningMessage"=dword:00000001
;manual ati hotkey poller
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ati HotKey Poller]
"Start"=dword:00000003

Thanks guys,

I'll try this tommorow:

[COMMANDS]
"RunOnceEx.cmd"
"REGEDIT /S regtweaks.reg"

I hope the regtweak will apply to ALL users...

@SiMoNsAys, I suppose you install via the Catalyst Setup and that's why you get those annoying things because my installation is from the $OEM$\$\drivers via OemPnPDriversPath and I only get an icon in the tray. I know that this method doesn't install all the part of the Catalyst driver but it is enought for our corporate needs. Anyway 90% of our computer use Intel Integrated Graphics ...

By the way, these are next things I want to modify via the registry:

1- Activate the Clear Type Font effect

2- Apply the ROYALE theme (MS Media Center Style)

3- Apply the 3D Windows XP screensaver

4- Disable the Intel Graphics Icon in the tray

5- Disable the Realtek Audio AC97 Icon in the tray

6- Activate the RDC (Remote Desktop Connection)

7- Change keyboard layout to Canadian French (I don't know why but this feature of winnt.sif never worked well)

And finaly, clear the startup (MSCONFIG) by removing useless stuff... they are located in (I think)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and I suppose that all I have to do is remove these entry but I don't know how.

So if you happen to know these keys let me know! :hello: