.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack

OK, I have a working version for svcpack.ini and normal batch-operation.

The 7z-SFX-Installer does interrupt execution till netfx.msi has completed it's installation, so it does not have the drawback of the RAR-SFX. It will also make the archive a bit smaller. You have to include msiexec.exe in the package, because the 7z-SFX can only call programs in the folder it has unpacked. I've used the "7zs.sfx" module and downsized it with UPX also. My config-file looks like this:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!

Title=".NET Installer with SP1"

RunProgram="msiexec.exe /i netfx.msi /qb"

;!@InstallEnd@!

You only need to include the resulting netfxsp1.exe in the svcpack.ini and everything works smoothly. The tempfiles will also be removed automatically. If someone has the webspace to host the file, I can supply a ready-made version (11.3 MB).

I'll gladly host it. Did you just use the 7z archive I linked to to create the installer?

my mistake...7zip does extract to a temp dir...so it looks like once you make the sfx like I described and like bitmonster posted about, all you have to do is run the file...that is of course with the hope that svcpack.inf does not continue when executing netfx.msi...also...Ive made one for xpsp1 and xpsp2...as msiexec.exe is not interchangable...as far as I can tell these work...though in installing it on my machine right now gives me an error cuz I already have .net installed.

OK, this is the definitive way to get .NET 1.1 SP1 installed during installation scripts now.

1.) Download netfxsp1.exe. It's a self-extracting exe with .NET 1.1 SP1 integrated into the .NET 1.1 install source.

2.) In your batch file where installations are run, add the following lines:

ECHO Installing .NET Framework 1.1.4322 SP1...
start /wait %CDROM%\Updates\netfxsp1.exe
start /wait %systemroot%\temp\dotnet\netfx.msi /qb
rd /s /q %systemroot%\temp\dotnet
ECHO.

Obviously, you'll need to adapt the path to your netfxsp1.exe file depending on how you've set up your unattended CD, but you should be able to get the general idea ;).  If you want to see no status bar, use the /qn switch instead of the /qb switch on netfx.msi.

Ryan VM I take my hat off to ya been trying to sort this for a week your method has done the trick what a great place & minds we have here. :thumbup:thumbup

OK, this is the definitive way to get .NET 1.1 SP1 installed during installation scripts now.

1.) Download netfxsp1.exe. It's a self-extracting exe with .NET 1.1 SP1 integrated into the .NET 1.1 install source.

2.) In your batch file where installations are run, add the following lines:

ECHO Installing .NET Framework 1.1.4322 SP1...
start /wait %CDROM%\Updates\netfxsp1.exe
start /wait %systemroot%\temp\dotnet\netfx.msi /qb
rd /s /q %systemroot%\temp\dotnet
ECHO.

Obviously, you'll need to adapt the path to your netfxsp1.exe file depending on how you've set up your unattended CD, but you should be able to get the general idea ;).  If you want to see no status bar, use the /qn switch instead of the /qb switch on netfx.msi.

Ryan VM I take my hat off to ya been trying to sort this for a week your method has done the trick what a great place & minds we have here. :thumbup:thumbup

Glad to be of service ;)

7zip has 3 different sfx, console sfx extracts to current directory by default(-o to specified directory), windows sfx will show a dialog (unless with -y argument) and default to current directory(-o overwrites), setup sfx will extract to temp(can't sure system temp or user temp) then execute some setup program.

7zip's setup sfx needs a config.txt in UTF-8 encoding, the 7zfm can't handle this kind of sfx, all manually, first make your archive, then config.txt, and last concate those 2 file with sfx module with:

COPY /B 7zSD.sfx+config.txt+anyArchive.7z sfxName.exe

7-zip.chm, section Command Line Version for details.

All 7-zip sfx module can be compress by upx, reduced size from 4xKb~7xKb, 7zC.sfx is the upxed version of 7z.sfx.

Don't execute any 7zip setup sfx before xp setup reboot, or there will be some strange directory in ProfilesDir. I did this several times @T-12, it generates some directory like MACHINENAME(or SYSTEM), i think that's UserName(SYSTEM)/MachineName @T-12. so, execute 7zip setup sfx @RunOnceEx or after that.

i've tried making a self-install 7z sfx(cant remember the app name), if that sfx install @T-12, after xp setup complete and my user logon, there's a new directory named MACHINENAME(or SYSTEM, can't sure, it's been 1 or 2 month ago) under "C:\Documents and Settings", but i didn't have that user. Then i view Properties of that folder, in Security page, owner of that folder is SYSTEM(built-in user SYSTEM not user named SYSTEM).

i didn't try that furtherer, maybe the folder was created by app setup. Maybe someone can make another self-install 7z sfx for another app, to make sure that folder is created by app setup, or 7z setup sfx.

At lease, i know default user @T-12 is built-in SYSTEM user.

I've tested the 7zip-installer a dozen times on a real-machine from svcpack.inf now and it works flawless. You don't need to call it through RunOnce. The automatically created temp-folder is removed for sure after the installation and I can't find any other straying files/folders. The batch or svcpack.inf will definitely be interrupted till the installer finished its job (i've tested it with a call to a cmd-window). I have a .NET-languagepack directly after the .NET-install, that would give an error if .NET is not installed right, so this should work for every language. This SFX is really easy to use, as you don't need any commandline-switches to start it.

I've contacted RyanVM so he will possibly host the ready-made package (if he hasn't made his own till now :) ).

7zip setup sfx never left anything in temp, and worked perfect.

The side effect i mentioned, may cause by app setup, it's looking for something in user profile, so there's some strange folder. It's good .net setup not cause this strange side effect, we don't need to del that annoying folder.

@bitmonster...I believe idle.newbie, after I made my comments, decided that it wasnt all 7zsfx installs, that it was just this one program that he sfx'ed that had this problem...he might have thought since it didnt work with that app, it wouldnt work with .net, but at least he gave us a warning to check against, I would have hated to have a MACHINE folder on my computer...certain "out of place" things annoy me LOL.

installing .net from svcpack doesnt work for me. it starts installing it towards the very end of the installation (the lil box pops up and shows the progress) but it doesn't get to finish because the installation restarts b4 it can finish. also wmp10 doesnt get installed at all from svcpack!

coolsights2000 ----have u tested ur method yet on vmware? i really need to get .net installed during xp setup so that ati catalyst control center works from runonceex. could u lead me step by step through your process? is their anyway to halt installation of xp so that it can have enough time to install .net framework. i see the progress box pop up but it doesnt have time to complete (gets about 75% complete b4 restart).