.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack

well this is how it goes...

svcpack executes some file (in this case its netfxsp1.exe which is a winrar file)

now after executing that file, once it is done, it continues...so after it extracts the files, svcpack.inf continues with the next thing because in its mind it is done with that command...IF YOU USE ANYTHING FOR "SETUP=" svcpack.inf will not stop running its other commands...the only way to get svcpack.inf to wait until netfx is done is to first tell it to extract (this is what netfxsp1.exe does...it extracts files first), then tell svcpack.inf to run the installation...svcpack.inf will then wait until the installation is done.

so in svcpack.inf, we would need

netfxsp1.exe /s

"%systemroot%\temp\netfx.msi /qn"

(now dont ask me if this is possible, cuz I dunno...but this is what we would need

well this is how it goes...

svcpack executes some file (in this case its netfxsp1.exe which is a winrar file)

now after executing that file, once it is done, it continues...so after it extracts the files, svcpack.inf continues with the next thing because in its mind it is done with that command...IF YOU USE ANYTHING FOR "SETUP=" svcpack.inf will not stop running its other commands...the only way to get svcpack.inf to wait until netfx is done is to first tell it to extract (this is what netfxsp1.exe does...it extracts files first), then tell svcpack.inf to run the installation...svcpack.inf will then wait until the installation is done.

so in svcpack.inf, we would need

netfxsp1.exe /s

"%systemroot%\temp\netfx.msi /qn"

(now dont ask me if this is possible, cuz I dunno...but this is what we would need

You guys are absolutely right. I completely forgot about that. Yes, you'll want to remove the setup line from the SFX archive and execute it from the batch file after extracting with a start /wait command.

I'm going to update the exe with that in mind.

EDIT: Uploading the modified version without a setup string now

@Coolsights2000

Basically the SFX works, but there is one problem, that you might not notice, because you don't need a NET-Languagepack. The NET-SP1 installer will give control back to svcpack.inf directly after the unpacking has happened and the actual installer runs in his one process. So next the LanguagePack starts and can't find a NET-install, because the installer hasn't finished it's job now. There might also arise problems with qchain.exe if something like this happens.

BTW: What does the "!-" in "Setup=netfx.msi /qb!-" do?

I haven't got this working through svcpack.inf till now.

Unpacking works, but how can I call the the netfx.msi?

Because it's now not in in the folder that is defined through svcpack.inf (CatalogSubDir), we will have to supply the path. But till now every path I supply doesn't work.

i used the pretty much the same way for .net tho i havent tried it yet...:

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=C:\Temp\dotnetfx
SavePath
Setup=netfx.msi /qb!-
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

make sure you also follow the directions on unattended.msfn.org. u need to have qchain in the update directory. u need to add some lines to dosnet.inf and u need to delete svcpack.in_ and create a new svcpack.inf.

if u did this with the same settings as me, please let me know how it worked!

hey RyanVM, thrown in the towel, eh?  (just kidding)

@everybody

hopefully, there will be no more problems - just download the link above (given by RyanVM) and execute it as one of the processes through your batch files (or XPlode or whatever). It is switch-less. You will have .NET v1.1 SP1 installed fine. :thumbup

This has nothing to do with the RyanVM pack. I'm using a localised version of DotNetFx so I can tell you I would have taken the RyanVM's pack instead of learning how to make a sfx with 7-zip...

And actually it's working. It's just that my sfx was 17Mo with wonrar and Ultra compression, and as I managed to save 6Mo by compressing with 7-zip I thought it could be an idea to try it, has at the end a few Mo could always be useful...

OK, I have a working version for svcpack.inf and normal batch-operation.

The 7z-SFX-Installer does interrupt execution till netfx.msi has completed it's installation, so it does not have the drawback of the RAR-SFX. It will also make the archive a bit smaller. You have to include msiexec.exe in the package, because the 7z-SFX can only call programs in the folder it has unpacked. I've used the "7zs.sfx" module and downsized it with UPX also. My config-file looks like this:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!

Title=".NET Installer with SP1"

RunProgram="msiexec.exe /i netfx.msi /qb"

;!@InstallEnd@!

You only need to include the resulting netfxsp1.exe in the svcpack.inf and everything works smoothly. The tempfiles will also be removed automatically. If someone has the webspace to host the file, I can supply a ready-made version (11.3 MB).

This works for me in svcpack.inf, didn't realize this was a problem.

Winrar comment

Setup=MSIEXEC.EXE /I NETFX.MSI
TempMode
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

My sfx is named dotnetfx.exe

dotnetfx.exe /Q

Works with no problems.

That was my original way of doing it and it worked perfectly that way no problem,

But by specifying a temp folder it seema to nor want to wait till installation of dotnetfx has finished before moving on to the next stage of windows installation

Thats all very well if you're running from a batch file on first bootm but absolutely useless if you're running from svcpack.inf which most of us are trying to do now.

Well geez, then figure out how to adapt it for your own uses :rolleyes:

hey RyanVM, thrown in the towel, eh?  (just kidding)

@everybody

hopefully, there will be no more problems - just download the link above (given by RyanVM) and execute it as one of the processes through your batch files (or XPlode or whatever). It is switch-less. You will have .NET v1.1 SP1 installed fine. :thumbup

This has nothing to do with the RyanVM pack. I'm using a localised version of DotNetFx so I can tell you I would have taken the RyanVM's pack instead of learning how to make a sfx with 7-zip...

And actually it's working. It's just that my sfx was 17Mo with wonrar and Ultra compression, and as I managed to save 6Mo by compressing with 7-zip I thought it could be an idea to try it, has at the end a few Mo could always be useful...

You didn't use a solid archive.

OK, I have a working version for svcpack.ini and normal batch-operation.

The 7z-SFX-Installer does interrupt execution till netfx.msi has completed it's installation, so it does not have the drawback of the RAR-SFX. It will also make the archive a bit smaller. You have to include msiexec.exe in the package, because the 7z-SFX can only call programs in the folder it has unpacked. I've used the "7zs.sfx" module and downsized it with UPX also. My config-file looks like this:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!

Title=".NET Installer with SP1"

RunProgram="msiexec.exe /i netfx.msi /qb"

;!@InstallEnd@!

You only need to include the resulting netfxsp1.exe in the svcpack.ini and everything works smoothly. The tempfiles will also be removed automatically. If someone has the webspace to host the file, I can supply a ready-made version (11.3 MB).

Where can I get more info on SFX modules for 7-zip?

run 7zfn.exe and goto help...then look for -sfx commandline switch...its in there...ive made one...about the best it can possibly get.

Some notes on how to do the 7z sfx installer...

first create a 7z archive with files you want (do not select sfx)

then grab upx and run it on 7zs.sfx

now, create a notepad document setup the exact way bitmonster said (change obvious things)

save as config.txt as UTF-8 (check encoding dropdown list while saving)

now, copy the upx'd 7zs.sfx, config.txt, and your archive to the same dir...

open a command console and goto the dir with the files

now "copy /b 7zs.sfx + config.txt + archive.7z archive.exe"

and i believe thats it