.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack

@bitmonster

If I get you right your installing the .netfx1.1sp1 plus the language pack, highmat and jviewer all at the same time with this script?

Yes, you are right. Actually the script is not installing the stuff itself, but creating an SFX-file that can be used to do all the installs when it's executed. This way it compresses much better than individual archives and can easily be extended to include even more stuff.

@bitmonster

Also, while looking over the code, it seems to be missing some of it, such as where is EOF, and wont it cause an error without it?

No, the code is complete. EOF means "End Of File" and is a predefined label in the batch interpreter. This goto-statement is comparable to an exit-statement, but because I use a subroutine-like block, this special trick is needed.

One more question, while I am at it, in the following:
ECHO START /WAIT /Dnetfxsp1 msiexec.exe /i netfx.msi /qb>install.bat
what is a /Dnetfxsp1 switch?

/D defines the working directory where START should execute the msiexec. "netfxsp1" is the directory where the SFX will unpack the .NET-stuff. The SFX will also create directories for langpack, HighMat and so on. And this way every directory will be handled separately.

Yes, you are right. Actually the script is not installing the stuff itself, but creating an SFX-file that can be used to do all the installs when it's executed. This way it compresses much better than individual archives and can easily be extended to include even more stuff.

That's what I was meaning but you clarified me anyways...

No, the code is complete. EOF means "End Of File" and is a predefined label in the batch interpreter. This goto-statement is comparable to an exit-statement, but because I use a subroutine-like block, this special trick is needed.

Ahh ok, now I understand why it didn't say EOF anywhere in there seperately, again thanks for the clarification here. Also, thanks for clearing this up for me as well:

/D defines the working directory where START should execute the msiexec. "netfxsp1" is the directory where the SFX will unpack the .NET-stuff. The SFX will also create directories for langpack, HighMat and so on. And this way every directory will be handled separately.
Edited by DisabledTrucker

Reason I am inquiring about it, is I am in the process of attempting to do the same thing to install PLUS! for Windows XP using this manner so I can get the entire CD on the DVD I am building.

*EDIT* I should mention I am not using the above script, but the previous one as a guide to build it, but I was also considering installing other apps at the same time as this. Question moved here.

Edited by DisabledTrucker

• 3 weeks later...
im trying to set it up so that it doesn't show the extraction process.  also....will /qn work in svcpack?

The SFX made with 7zS.sfx doesn't accept any switches.

So I packed the netfxsp1.exe generated from bitmonster's method with iexpress, checking all the silent options you get a completely silent version of netfxsp1.exe that doesn't show the extraction process.

The downside is that it adds 54KB to the pack and may take more time to install since the double extraction. ;)

Well, you're the first of well over 500 downloads to report a problem, which means the burden of proof is on you to prove that the mistake's on my end and not yours.

You're running the exe with no switches at all?

I think the problem may lay in the hard drive I was using. I noticed some corrupt files yesterday and things only got worse. The hard drive is now totally dead which had my vmware stuff on so I cant test it at the moment. I think this maybe the root of my problems though.

Cheers

Wow ! take me about an hour to read all the 27 pages !

But it's very instructive and many thanks to all people sharing their knowledge.

bitmonster evil voice Ryan VM idle.newbie and the ones i forget their name.

the funny thing is that i don't install .NET with my unattended install.

I only install it on a "test" box to play with nuhi nLite.

But the small startX.exe utility is just what i need for launching some installers and batch cmd.

someone who is explore problems: be sure first install framework before extracting SP1.1 otherwise youre not able to extract.

before testing your selfmade packet be sure you have framework uninstalled otherwise Windows Update is saying you dont have installed framework 1.1SP1 which is included in your packet...

also data1.cab is mistyped, it must be netfx.cab

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK

I've read all this, and I can see that this thread is many months old, but I'm just beginning the struggle with this one.

I downloaded all the stuff (7-zip,upx, etc.), ran the batch as instructed, all administrative installs and added patches appear to work, it installs when run (just running it on an existing .net-less WinXP installation to see if it does what I want before trying to incorporate it into my XP installation set) and it does install .net 1.1. However, Windows Update still insists I need to install that update which, honestly, is the most important part of this process: WUD not insisting I need updates. It's an appearance thing.

I'm open to suggestions or, y'know, whatever you guys throw at me.

Thanks for all the great info here, and for any help you can offer a poor li'l NooB.