.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack

anectdotally???? hmm, yes Im the one who says its not backwards compatible...ill run sp2 version on my sp1 machine and write the error verbatim (see I can use big words too LOL j/k RyanVM)

msiexec.exe - Ordinal Not Found

The ordinal 280 could not be located in the dynamic link library msi.dll

(this is using sp2's msiexec.exe on a sp1 machine)

i can send sp1's msiexec.exe, but dont have sp2 on my pc yet...actually, to get the error, all you have to do is extract msiexec.ex_ from sp1 and run it on a sp2 machine (if it errors) this is how I got the sp2 error...and before anyone replies saying that is normal...I got the same error when having it inside the .netsp1 pack, so dont think its only because im running it without a command.

The approach to use msiexec.exe from an XP-SP1 seems to work. I just tested such package on an SP2 XP-machine. But the installation seems to take much longer. I will test it more extensively tomorrow.

Another solution might be to use a 'bridge-exe' to fire up the msiexec of the system where the package currently get's started.

OK, the impression that the installation takes longer was bulls***. They both seem to take quite long. :)

I just tried the last idea with the 'bridge-exe' and it also seems to work fine. The resulting .exe is 60kB bigger, but I like the idea to use the most up-to-date msiexec that the system can use.

OK, the impression that the installation takes longer was bulls***. They both seem to take quite long. :)

I just tried the last idea with the 'bridge-exe' and it also seems to work fine. The resulting .exe is 60kB bigger, but I like the idea to use the most up-to-date msiexec that the system can use.

care to share? I was thinking something along the line of a cmd file, but an exe would work as well.

OK, I made some more tests on an XP-SP2-install and everything runs fine so far. Would be nice if XP-SP1-users could test this out.

Here is a small guide how to create your own:

1. Get the .NET framework v1.1 re-distributable package and put it in some folder.
  2. Get the .NET framework v1.1 SP1 update and put it in the same folder as above.
  3. Get 7-Zip and install it. Open up the folder where 7-zip has installed itself to and grab the 7za.exe and 7zS.sfx files and copy them to your folder. You can deinstall 7-Zip now if you want.
  4. Get the UPX-package (Win32 console version), unpack it and copy the upx.exe to your folder
  5. Get the StartX-package, grab the StartX.exe out of the archive (you find it in the 'Release' folder) and move it to your folder.
  6. Make a new batch-file in your folder, name it make.bat and paste the following text into it:

%~d0

CD "%~p0"

MD tmp

MD netfxsp1

START /wait dotnetfx.exe /C /T:"%~dp0tmp"

START /wait NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe /XP:"%~dp0tmp"

CD tmp

START /wait msiexec /a netfx.msi TARGETDIR="%~dp0netfxsp1" /QB

START /wait msiexec /p S867460.msp /a "%~dp0netfxsp1\netfx.msi"

CD..

COPY StartX.exe "%~dp0netfxsp1\StartX.exe"

RMDIR /S /Q tmp

CD netfxsp1

..\7za.exe a "%~dp0netfxsp1.7z" -r -mx=7 -mfb=255 -md=48m *

CD..

RMDIR /S /Q netfxsp1

COPY 7zS.sfx 7zSC.sfx

upx.exe 7zSC.sfx

ECHO ;!@Install@!UTF-8!>config.txt

ECHO RunProgram="StartX.exe /WAIT \"msiexec /i netfx.msi /qb\"">>config.txt

ECHO ;!@InstallEnd@!>>config.txt

COPY /b 7zSC.sfx + config.txt + netfxsp1.7z netfxsp1.exe

DEL 7zSC.sfx

DEL config.txt

DEL netfxsp1.7z

Now you should have the following files in your folder:

7za.exe
7zS.sfx
dotnetfx.exe
make.bat
NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe
upx.exe
StartX.exe

Start the make.bat and wait 2 minutes. At the end you should have a netfxsp1.exe in your folder with a size of about 11.3 MB.

You can run this standalone file through svcpack.inf or any other batch without any commandline switches. But if you use a batch instead of svcpack.inf you should use the start-command:

start /wait netfxsp1.exe