problem with DFS after update SP2

cang

hi guys,

I've been training on MCP with Windows 2003 domain and 2 XP clients.

Few days ago I updated the two clients with SP2 from Microsoft. Then the problem occured with DFS.

Here is the situation, each Client A and B has shared folder "shareA" and "shareB". Both of them are links under the domain DFS root. And those accessible by the links

\\pcA\shareA

\\pcB\shareB

but when I try access them from DFS, I got error message

"\\server\dfsroot\shareA" is not accessible. You might not have permission to access this resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have permissions to access this resource. The network path was not found."

And the clue is from pcA, I can access DFS link which resides on pcB but not the one resides on itself, pcA. And vice versa for pcB, can access DFS link on pcA but not pcB.

I try to search on the net and found the something about those loopback issue with SP2 in MS KB884020 article. And also apply the path for tcpip.sys file too. It works for unlimited connections but doesn't work on my problem.

I'd be grateful for this help...

cang

:}

hi guys,

it's a good news when I found a thread on mcse.sa about this same issue, the solution is to add the DWORD value named "EnableDfsLoopbackTargets" to HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Mup/Parameters and set it "1".

And it works after rebooting the system.

ciao ciao :w00t:

• 2 years later...
@[b]cang[/b]:

Ha, exactly my problem with my current setup. Some questions though:

1. Your solution (EnableDfsLoopbackTargets) -- I assume do them on the workstations. Am I right?

2. The solution in your original post -- is it necessary? Or just do the solution of your 2nd post?

Thx.